History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Langham House and Attached Stables

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rode, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2869 / 51°17'12"N

Longitude: -2.2817 / 2°16'54"W

OS Eastings: 380452

OS Northings: 154238

OS Grid: ST804542

Mapcode National: GBR 0RR.CXV

Mapcode Global: VH971.DXM9

Entry Name: Langham House and Attached Stables

Listing Date: 11 March 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345390

English Heritage Legacy ID: 267358

Location: Rode, Mendip, Somerset, BA11

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Rode

Built-Up Area: Rode

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Rode

Listing Text

ST8054 RODE CP RODE HILL (North side)

12/411 Langham House and attached stables

11.3.68

GV II*

Country House. Reputedly 1792 by T Baldwin for William Lydyard addition of 1810. Ashlar, moulded cornice, balustraded parapet with coping, stone urns at the angles, hipped slate roof, 2 low ashlar stacks with moulded caps. Classical. 3
storeys 5 bays, sash windows with glazing bars, those to ground floor with semi- circular heads in shallow arched recesses; plain stone band at second floor level, moulded string below cornice, impost band with interlacement decoration to ground floor. Central door opening, 6-panelled door, fanlight with decorative glazing bars; stone portico with flat entablature of 4 Tuscan columns, Tuscan pilasters to wall. Single storey wing of 3 bays to right by Adam, tall French windows with glazing bars and marginal lights, moulded cornice, baluster parapet with corner urn, hipped slate roof. Single storey, 3-bay semi-circular bow window to rear elevation, sash windows with glazing bars, balustraded parapet, corner urns. Attached stables to rear of right return, hipped slate roof, 2 broad segmental headed openings to ground floor, plank door, above 2 glazed pitching eyes. Complete late C18 interior entered through a hall flanked by 2 Tuscan columns; most of the ground floor rooms with plaster friezes and cornices, the finest in the dining room, most fireplaces also remain. In 1860 the house achieved notoriety as the scene of the mysterious murder of 3 year old Francis Savill Kent. At that time it was known as Road Hill House, the name subsequently changed because of the attention the murder attracted. (Yseult Bridges, Saint with Red Hands, Jarrolds, 1954; Bernard Taylor, Cruelly Murdered, Souvenir Press, 1979).


Listing NGR: ST8045254238

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.