This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1477 / 51°8'51"N
Longitude: -2.7171 / 2°43'1"W
OS Eastings: 349934
OS Northings: 138961
OS Grid: ST499389
Mapcode National: GBR MK.7X13
Mapcode Global: VH8B3.VFF0
Entry Name: The Tribunal
Listing Date: 21 June 1950
Last Amended: 15 March 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265920
Location: Glastonbury, Mendip, Somerset, BA6
Civil Parish: Glastonbury
Built-Up Area: Glastonbury
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
(formerly listed as
ST 4938 7/37 21.6.50.
Early C16 facade to a C15 structure. The Abbey courthouse, also used during the
Monmouth Rebellion trials by Judge Jeffreys. 2 storeys Freestone. Ground floor
has a continuous range of 8 lights divided by stone mullions, and a doorway to
left. The wooden door is original. Panels above the doorway have Tudor Rose and
Tudor Royal Arms. In centre of 1st floor is a splayed oriel of 6 lights with a
2-light window to each side. All lights have uncusped heads. Moulded strings
and parapet coping. Pantile roof. Interior has open timber roofs, some moulded
plaster ceilings and fireplaces. Contains museum of Glastonbury Antiquarian Society.
In guardianship of Department of Environment.
All the listed buildings from Crown Hotel to No 11 (North side) and Nos 2 to 10,
with No 12 (South side), and the Market Cross and Nos 6 to 9 (consec) Market Place
form an extremely important group.
Listing NGR: ST4993438962
Other nearby listed buildings