History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chantry and the Hermitage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Frome, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2294 / 51°13'45"N

Longitude: -2.3215 / 2°19'17"W

OS Eastings: 377650

OS Northings: 147846

OS Grid: ST776478

Mapcode National: GBR 0S9.V6X

Mapcode Global: VH97D.QC3D

Entry Name: The Chantry and the Hermitage

Listing Date: 22 July 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345487

English Heritage Legacy ID: 266169

Location: Frome, Mendip, Somerset, BA11

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Frome

Built-Up Area: Frome

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Frome

Listing Text

1.
5363

GENTLE STREET
(East side)

Nos 2 (The Chantry)
and 2A (The Hermitage)

ST 7747 NE
10/61
22.7.49
GV

II*

2.
One building, said to have been the Marquess of Bath's town house. Late C17.
Rubble walls, pantile roofs. 2½ storeys. 3 gables with glazing bar sashes in
gables. 7 windows spaced 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1, sashes in plain architraves with
beaded edges, glazing bars. Circa 1770 panelled door with cross lower panels and
cusped centre panels, bracketed pediment. Later plain doorway to right hand with
studded C17 door. Cellar door below left hand window.
Important rear elevation: 2 hipped projections, the right hand one 2 storeys, 2
windows, rendered. The left hand one is 2½ storeys with mansard roof. Segmental
headed dormer with glazing bar sash window. Below is ashlar front with 2 storey
angled bay and chamfered quoins, windows in bay are glazing bar sashes in architraves
with keys. It also has traceried fanlight to door.
Back door of No 2A has stop moulded ogee surround with to left a late C17 2-light
ogee moulded mullion window.
Interior: the 'priest's hole' is a small barrel vaulted chamber off entrance hall of
No 2 with fine panelled door behind which is an C18 segment headed kitchen fire-
place. The interior of No 2 was remodelled circa 1770 when a bay extension was
added to rear, staircase with heavy moulded handrail and carved cut string may be
earlier; it has a fine display cabinet in room to east of kitchen. Bay window
room to No 2A has mahogany doors (only one is original) and enriched ceiling
cornice. Room above has bed recess with flanking powder cupboards.
No 2A also retains part of a winder stair (up to 2nd floor from 1st floor) blocked
stair window; heavy balusters across landing.


Listing NGR: ST7765047846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.