This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2317 / 51°13'54"N
Longitude: -2.3201 / 2°19'12"W
OS Eastings: 377744
OS Northings: 148109
OS Grid: ST777481
Mapcode National: GBR 0S9.N8D
Mapcode Global: VH97D.Q9TL
Entry Name: The Blue House
Listing Date: 22 July 1949
Last Amended: 16 February 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266245
Location: Frome, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Frome
Built-Up Area: Frome
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
5363 MARKET PLACE
ST 7748 SE 5/3 22.7.49
The Blue House
(formerly listed as
The Bluecoat School
1726. Built as a Bluecoat School with flanking almshouses (see statues of "Nancy
Guy" and "Billy Ball" on facade).
Central 2½ storey block with hipped roof and flanking 3½ storey blocks. Central
break in ashlar with plinth, chamfered quoins and coved moulded cornice; large
panelled doors with architrave and brackets to pediment broken to accommodate repaired
statue of Bluecoat Boy ("Billy Ball"). 2 ranges of large round headed windows in
architraves. Niche over door contains statue of old parishoner ("Nancy Guy")
possibly a replica. 2 segmental headed dormers; central clock turret with arcade,
pilasters and bell shaped lead roof. Each wing is of 3 bays with paired windows;
coursed rubble with ashlar eaves and cornice, quoins, bands over floors, and plain
architraves. Large chimney breaks forward in each wing. 2 gabled dormers to each
Rear: chimneys stunted and windows of centre altered to 3 light flat mullion types,
flanking central stack.
Interior: Original plain stairs to each wing with heavy hand rail and turned balusters
Flanking front door, are 2 recently 'cleaned' statues of Charity Girls (circa 1803)
from the demolished Keyford Asylum.
Listing NGR: ST7774448109
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings