This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1387 / 51°8'19"N
Longitude: -3.3561 / 3°21'21"W
OS Eastings: 305223
OS Northings: 138592
OS Grid: ST052385
Mapcode National: GBR LP.8HLD
Mapcode Global: VH6GV.SM4X
Entry Name: Huish Barton Farmhouse and Wall Enclosing Garden to West
Listing Date: 22 May 1969
Last Amended: 21 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264803
Location: Nettlecombe, West Somerset, Somerset, TA23
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Nettlecombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST03NE NETTLECOMBE CP
5/45 Huish Barton Farmhouse and wall
enclosing garden to West
(Huish Barton Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Late C16, enlarged 1698, restored late C20. Random rubble, 4 bays refronted with brick, much restored
mid-late C20, coped verges, pantiled roof, external brick stacks. "L"-plan; 3 cell and cross passage farmhouse facinq
South with late C17 addition facing West onto walled garden. Main block: 2 storeys, 5 bays, irregularly placed
fenestration, 12 pane sash windows first floor, groundfloor two 12 pane sash windows left and two tripartite 12 pane
sash windows right of 6 panel door, upper panels glazed, gabled wooden trelliswork porch. Interior modernised. The main
interest of the house is the West wing, linked by lower pavilions to farmhouse. Red and purple bricks, Flemish bond,
coped verges, slate roof, coped brick stacks gable ends. Single storey over basement, 1:4:1 bays; segmental headed
crucifiorm windows, renewed C20, segmental headed basement lights, segmental headed doorways in flanking single storey
pavilions. Interior: one large room, very high ceiling, brick face to wall facing garden, rest random rubble,
originally plastered with initials GM (George Musgrave) 1698 in foliage scroll-work over North gable end brick arched
fireplace opening, similar small fireplace South end, entrance through renewed staircase on East front, also gives
access to the basement. This must have been a very impressive room when built, presumably with a plasterwork ceiling.
It has been suggested that it was built as accommodation for the bi-annual visit of the Lord of the Manor and his
officers, though there is no comparable sleeping accommodation, or perhaps to celebrate a particularly lucrative
marriage alliance, since it is possible that there is another initial carved in the ornate stonework. Whatever the
original purpose it is one of the very few examples of C17 brick work in the county. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO,
October 1978; VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming).
Listing NGR: ST0522338592
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings