History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Binham Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Old Cleeve, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1731 / 51°10'23"N

Longitude: -3.3812 / 3°22'52"W

OS Eastings: 303539

OS Northings: 142446

OS Grid: ST035424

Mapcode National: GBR LN.697K

Mapcode Global: VH6GN.BSV2

Entry Name: Binham Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345628

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264865

Location: Old Cleeve, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Old Cleeve

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Blue Anchor

Listing Text

ST04SW OLD CLEEVE CP

1/107 Binham Farmhouse

22.5.69

GV II*

Farmhouse, originally grange of Cleeve Abbey. C15, altered C16, 1624, reroofed C19 Northern part largely rebuilt with
removal of later 3 storey addition (in North-West corner). Squared and coursed blue lias, red sandstone random rubble
porch, slate roof hipped left, coped verges right, brick stack right gable end and rising from eaves to right of porch.
L-plan with later additions, 3 cell and cross passage lying South-North, earlier wing South West corner with site of
demolished stair turret in angle, later stair turret North West. Two storeys, 1:1:2 bays; C17 ovolo moulded mullioned
casement left of full height porch with coped gable and finials, renewed mullions right, one 3-light casement left and
two 4-light right of 5-light oriel window corbelled out, slate roofed pentice, groundfloor two 3-light left, two
4-light right of porch, moulded arched opening probably reset with hoodmould and diamond stops, square headed moulded
inner wooden door frame, ribbed and panelled inner door. Coat of arms with date 1624 set above outer entrance. Left
return 4-centred arched stone door frame, spandrels and hoodmoulded, rear elevation first floor alabaster depressed
Tudor arch opening to stair turret. Interior: 8 panel compartment ceiling left of cross passage, 4 panel outer room
right, number of moulded peaked doorframes and depressed 4-centre arch fireplaces including one in first floor room
incorporating porch room with plasterwork overmantel showinq allegorical screen with Truth and Time, and moulded
plasterwork frieze. The layout of the original grange is not clear; at the time of the Dissolution it was leased to
tenants. The coat of arms is that of Robert Boteler the Younger who suceeded his father in 1624 as lessee of Henry
Radcliff. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, August 1982; Photograph in NMR).


Listing NGR: ST0353942446

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.