History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

James Barton

A Grade II Listed Building in Stogumber, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1289 / 51°7'43"N

Longitude: -3.2909 / 3°17'27"W

OS Eastings: 309764

OS Northings: 137414

OS Grid: ST097374

Mapcode National: GBR LS.9245

Mapcode Global: VH6GW.XW3G

Entry Name: James Barton

Listing Date: 21 December 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345648

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264965

Location: Stogumber, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Stogumber

Built-Up Area: Stogumber

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Stogumber

Listing Text

ST0937 STOGUMBER CP VELLOW ROAD (East side)


11/202 James Barton

-

- II

Farmhouse now private dwelling. Medieval in origin, altered late C16-early C17, West wall rebuilt C18, restored late
C20. Rendered over cob, West wall and additions at rear rubble, thatched roof hipped to right, double Roman tiled
outshots at rear. Plan: open hall house altered to 3 cell and cross passage with added room west end, gabled stair
turret at rear and 3 outshots. 2 storeys, 4 bays; all windows on facade late C20 2 and 3-light casements, groundfloor 2
windows on either side of roughcast gabled tiled porch with C20 door, French window end bay right. Interior not
viewed; the subject of a detailed VAG report and said to contain jointed cruck trusses and other evidence of original
open hall ceiled late C16-early C17 with 4 panel hollow chamfered compartment ceiling to right of narrow cross passage,
chamfered lintel and moulded stone jambs to fireplace. The house can be documented to 1510 when it was held by
copyholders of the Dean and Chapter of Wells; the name derives from one Joshua James who was the copyholder in 1763.
(VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 1980; Proceedings SANHS 1982).


Listing NGR: ST0976437414

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.