History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Mill and Attached Mill Buildings to North West

A Grade II Listed Building in East Quantoxhead, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1849 / 51°11'5"N

Longitude: -3.2351 / 3°14'6"W

OS Eastings: 313771

OS Northings: 143572

OS Grid: ST137435

Mapcode National: GBR LV.5Q6T

Mapcode Global: VH6GQ.WH21

Entry Name: Manor Mill and Attached Mill Buildings to North West

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345681

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265126

Location: East Quantoxhead, West Somerset, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: East Quantoxhead

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
East Quantoxhead

Listing Text

ST1343 EAST QUANTOXHEAD CP

13/79 Manor Mill and attatched mill
buildings to North West
22.5.69

- II

Mill and Millhouse. Dated 1725. Mill house lias random rubble, rough cast returns and rear, thatched roof with ridge
tiles, half hipped wing at rear, brick stacks left and right gable ends. "L"-plan, single storey brick addition in
angle. One and a half storeys, 3 bays all windows wooden early C20, 2 eyebrow dormers with 3-light casement windows
left, one 3-light right set just below eaves, ground floor 2- and 3-light with entrance end bay left. Depressed arch
door, steeply chamfered architrave with pegged shoulders, plank doors with ledged surround. Left return blocked opening
in gabled end perhaps lighting stair originally, date stone. Interior not viewed. Mill attatched at North West corner;
lias random rubble, gabled slate roof 2 and a half storeys, unglazed opening gable end, similar below, ground floor
opening to left of stable-type door. Overshot wooden water wheel, almost completely disintegrated, but some flour
milling machinery survives. Recessed door in return angle links mill building to mill house. Rebuilt in 1725 after a
fire, this was a flour mill until the 1920's. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5 forthcoming; photograph in NMR).


Listing NGR: ST1377143572

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.