History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Ilchester, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0022 / 51°0'7"N

Longitude: -2.6829 / 2°40'58"W

OS Eastings: 352180

OS Northings: 122757

OS Grid: ST521227

Mapcode National: GBR MM.K045

Mapcode Global: FRA 568G.GMG

Entry Name: Castle Farmhouse

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345746

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263451

Location: Ilchester, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Ilchester

Built-Up Area: Ilchester

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Ilchester

Listing Text

Castle Farmhouse, Market Place.
10/69
8/69

------------------------------------
Castle Farmhouse, Market Place.
10/69
8/69
------------------------------------

ST5222 ILCHESTER CP MARKET PLACE (West side)

10/69 Castle Farmhouse

19.4.61

GV II

Former inn, later farmhouse. C18. Local lias stone cut and squared. Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roof with plain
gables; red and grey banded brick chimney stacks. Three storeys, 4 bays. Plinth, band courses, rusticated quoins;
12-pane sash windows in keystoned architraves; to lower bay 3 a C19 door with rectangular fanlight in moulded
architrave with moulded flat stone hood on shaped brackets. Tall single-storey single-bay extension on north-east
gable, with hipped roof and plain casement windows. Interior not seen. A farm, created on the site of the medieval
Whitehall Nunnery; the farmhouse was known as The Bell Inn by 1813, and by 1825 was known as the Castle Inn; by 1840 it
was the largest coaching inn in the town, but by 1856 seems to have been reshaped as a farm: it was vacated in 1978,
since when most of the farm buildings have been converted or demolished (SSAVBRG Report on the Farmstead, SRO
Unpublished, September 1981).

Listing NGR: ST5218022757

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.