This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9498 / 50°56'59"N
Longitude: -2.7183 / 2°43'6"W
OS Eastings: 349634
OS Northings: 116954
OS Grid: ST496169
Mapcode National: GBR MK.NH3Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 566L.LSH
Entry Name: Montacute Church of England Voluntary Control Primary School, and Front Boundary Railings
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345762
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263544
Location: Montacute, South Somerset, Somerset, TA15
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Montacute
Built-Up Area: Montacute
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST4916 MONTACUTE CP ABBEY FARM LANE (West side) >
8/89 Montacute C of E V.C. Primary
School, and front boundary
School. 1847, extended 1893, 1895-6 and in mid C20. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables;
yellow brick chianey stacks. Single-storey; original north section 3 bays. Plinth, eaves course, battlemented coping,
but with gable to the slightly projecting bay 2 which is crowned with a small bell turret, angled corner buttresses: to
outer bays 4-light mullioned and transomed windows with labels, the lights cusped ogee-headed; bay 2 has
pair boarded doors in 4-centre arches with carved spandrils under common label; above a plaque in Gothic style with
legend "Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old he will not depart from it", and incised in gable
"Montacute National School 1847". Single-bay extension to south, with long return to rear: in end gable is a multiple
plain window, under which is a projecting porch with flat roof behind parapet, having Cambered arched doorway with
toplights and flanking windows to match, above the door a scroll inscribed 'AD 1895': further south a C20 extension in
random coursed rubble, having plain parapet and 2-light steel casement windows with reconstructed stone surrounds.
Interior not seen. Simple wrot iron railings with top rail, no spikes to east of original school only; further south a
low stone wall with angled coping, all adding to the setting of the building and to the streetscene. (VCH Vol III,
Listing NGR: ST4963216954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings