This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9219 / 50°55'18"N
Longitude: -2.6837 / 2°41'1"W
OS Eastings: 352042
OS Northings: 113822
OS Grid: ST520138
Mapcode National: GBR ML.QCWM
Mapcode Global: FRA 568N.VQ8
Entry Name: Barn, 17 Metres North of Chicks Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Last Amended: 30 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345819
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263846
Location: West Coker, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: West Coker
Built-Up Area: West Coker
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
WEST COKER CP HIGH STREET (North side)
10/288 Barn, 17 metres North of Chicks
(formerly listed as Barn to North
of Manor Farmhouse
Barn, possibly meant to double as a folly. Dated 1764. Local stone rubble with Ham stone dressings; corrugated
asbestos cement sheet replacing thatch on main roof, with clay pantiles to extensions, coped gable to South. 2-storey
in part, 9-bays. Plinthed; to East flank four 4-centre arched doorways with labels over, to bays -1, -3, -5 and -9;
over bay -1 small matching doorway with label, to bay-2 a 2-light transomed 4-centre arched window with C16 style
tracery, further upper doors bays-4 and -7. On West flank high doors in gabled projection bay-5, and catslide roof to
lean-to buildings on either side, with variety of old plain windows and doors. At North end a 2-bay open shed with
half-hipped clay pantile roof, the beam collar trusses with 3-purlins each major slope. In South gable a cinquefoil
cusped pointed arch doorway above a concrete block lean-to building (this not included in listing), and in gable over
oval ventilation hole and stone plaque reading 'Built in the Year 1764' Interior full of hay (August 1983) and not
inspected, cider press still in position in bay-2. Some elements might be reused from Church of St. Martin of Tours
(qv), where the tower was finished in 1765. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, October 1972).
Listing NGR: ST5204213822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings