History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1 and 3, East Street

A Grade II Listed Building in West Coker, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9192 / 50°55'9"N

Longitude: -2.6866 / 2°41'11"W

OS Eastings: 351829

OS Northings: 113533

OS Grid: ST518135

Mapcode National: GBR ML.QK4F

Mapcode Global: FRA 568P.14N

Entry Name: 1 and 3, East Street

Listing Date: 30 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345853

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263812

Location: West Coker, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: West Coker

Built-Up Area: West Coker

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
West Coker

Listing Text

WEST COKER CP EAST STREET (North side)
ST5113
9/254 Nos.1 and 3
-

GV II

Pair of shops. Dated 1899. Ham stone cut and squared with ashlar dressings; Bridgwater patent Roman style clay tiles
between stepped coped gables; brick end chimney stacks, that to North on semi-circular gable height corbel.
2-storeys, 3-bays. Rusticated band course: original shopfronts with stone risers, pilasters framing windows and
doorway to No.1, moulded cornice-type fascia; 3-light display windows, slightly angled as bays, with cast iron
ventilation grills at head; two sets of windows with central doorway and fanlight over, no.1, one window set no.3, with
6-panalled docr on right in plain surround with flat stone hood on stone corbels; above, double sash windows in plain
ashlar surrounds. To North side, gable with matching shop window and segmented arched wagon door, with 1899 datestone
set higher, also a single double sash window; North West corner rounded: then extension Eastward along High Street of
C18 date, local stone rubble, slate roof between abutments, having further matching shop window and small signboard
over, and to first floor small early casement with leaded lights. Listed mainly for original shopfronts and importance
to street scene in the centre of the village.


Listing NGR: ST5182913533

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.