History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Bible Christian Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Dinnington, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9123 / 50°54'44"N

Longitude: -2.8518 / 2°51'6"W

OS Eastings: 340214

OS Northings: 112877

OS Grid: ST402128

Mapcode National: GBR MC.QZ6S

Mapcode Global: FRA 46XP.NT8

Entry Name: Former Bible Christian Chapel

Listing Date: 18 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345886

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264089

Location: Dinnington, South Somerset, Somerset, TA17

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Dinnington

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Hinton St George with Dinnington

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Hinton Saint George

Listing Text

DINNINGTON CP CHAPEL LANE (South side)
ST41SW Former Bible Christian Chapel
5/4

GV II

Chapel. Built 1873. Local stone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof with sawn stone ridge, stepped
coped north gable with obelisk finials and plain south gable. Single-storey, 2 bays x 1 bay. North gable front has
plinth; semi-circular arched doorway with ashlar surround framing 4-panelled door with radial-glazed fanlight over,
above which is a single semi-circular arched window with chamfered stone surround and honeycomb pattern cast-iron
window light: similar windows to side walls; in crown of north gable a rectangular plaque with beaded frame, the
inscription no longer readable. Interior not seen, but said to retain its original fittings. The Bible Christians began
meeting nearby in 1824, and reformed in 1838: the chapel was built in 1873 and continued to be used by the methodists
until 1956. In 1964 taken over by the Elim Pentecostal Church at Merriott, but at time of resurvey (March 1986)
appeared to be unused. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST4021412877

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.