History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coke Memorial Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in South Petherton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9501 / 50°57'0"N

Longitude: -2.8104 / 2°48'37"W

OS Eastings: 343170

OS Northings: 117054

OS Grid: ST431170

Mapcode National: GBR MF.NHTK

Mapcode Global: FRA 560L.LXR

Entry Name: Coke Memorial Methodist Church

Listing Date: 18 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345928

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264224

Location: South Petherton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA13

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: South Petherton

Built-Up Area: South Petherton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: South Petherton with the Seavingtons and the Lambrooks

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
South Petherton

Listing Text

SOUTH PETHERTON CP PALMER STREET (North side)
ST4317
6/139 Coke Memorial Methodist Church

GV II

Methodist Church. 1881. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof of grey banded with purple,
ornamental terra-cotta ridges; south gable has moulded coping and gabletted finial. Six bays x one bay, each bay having
its own plain gable; with south-east corner turret and spirelet, and north crosswing. North street elevation of 6 bays
plus 2 bays of crosswing. Plinth; bay 1 has shouldered-arched doorway with pointed-arched recess having traceried
circular window over, flanked by half-height buttresses; remaining 5 bays have almost full-height buttresses and
coupled pairs of cusped lancets with transomes; crosswing has similar but simpler doorway in south return, the gable
having end and centre buttresses with 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, and louvred vents to roof. South
elevation, a gable front, has large C14 style 4-light subarcuated-with-wheel tranceried window, and projecting side
wings have pairs of cusped lancets; to gable crown a triple-louvred vent, below which is a band course with 'Coke
Memorial Chapel' inscribed thereon; the slim turret becomes octagonal at eaves level with shallow pilaster to principal
faces, and at crown are slim lancet openings on angled faces under simple spirelet. Other elevations to match. Interior
not seen. This church replaced an 1809 chapel on the site, Methodism having come to the parish in 1753.(VCH, Vol III,
1974).


Listing NGR: ST4316217067

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.