History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Somerton Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Somerton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0534 / 51°3'12"N

Longitude: -2.7173 / 2°43'2"W

OS Eastings: 349816

OS Northings: 128475

OS Grid: ST498284

Mapcode National: GBR MK.FWY7

Mapcode Global: FRA 566B.F66

Entry Name: Old Somerton Mill

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Last Amended: 30 September 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346032

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262962

Location: Somerton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Somerton

Built-Up Area: Somerton (South Somerset)

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Somerton

Listing Text

ST42NE SOMERTON CP LODGE HILL (East side)

4/156 Old Somerton Mill
(formerly listed as Mill House)

17.4.59

- II*

Water mill and house. Later C18 but with C16 origins. Local lias stone cut and squared; plain clay tile roofs to house,
with stepped coped gable to west and hipped to east; clay pantiles over stone base courses to mill, between stepped
coped gables with ball finials; brick and stone chimney stacks. L-plan: house of 2 storeys, with 2 bay south elevation;
2-light leaded iron casement window in beaded surrounds with mullions, the lower with segmental arched heads; between
windows a 6 flush-panel door set in segmental arched recess. Mill returns southwards from east side for 2 bays,
becoming 2 storey with attic on east side due to sharp fall in ground levels: 3 light leaded casement, and 3 centre
arched opening for the overshot water wheel (repaired and still in position); on east side a 2 storey C19 lean-to,
incorporating a tall square plan tapered brick chimney on stone base, with moulded stone cap, possibly to accommodate
the steam engine known to be there by 1910. Interiors not inspected: milling machinery apparently removed. First
recorded 1513, it was known as Somerton Flour Mill in C19, and continued in use until 1935. (VCR, Volume III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST4981628475

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.