History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gateway

A Grade II Listed Building in Langport, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0369 / 51°2'12"N

Longitude: -2.8236 / 2°49'25"W

OS Eastings: 342347

OS Northings: 126716

OS Grid: ST423267

Mapcode National: GBR MF.GSKV

Mapcode Global: FRA 46ZC.V2S

Entry Name: The Gateway

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346073

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263181

Location: Langport, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Langport

Built-Up Area: Langport

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Langport

Listing Text

LANGPORT CP THE HILL (South side)
ST4226
11/116 The Gateway
17.4.59
GV II

Detached house. Deeds start 1672, house remodelled early C19. Rendered and colourwashed; hipped Welsh slate roof; red
brick chimney stacks. In a villa style. Two storeys, 3-bay east elevation. Sash windows in plain openings, 12-pane
below and 9-pane above; central pair glazed doors with plain fanlight over, protected by wide open flat-roofed porch
with dentil- moulded fascia, carried on 4 Doric-style cast-iron columns replacing stone columns now in the grounds.
South elevation of 5 bays to match, with central bay feature of segmental step, curved verandah with bitumenised roof,
replacing lead, on timber columns screening French windows set on curve; above, balcony with timber lattice balustrade
and timber columns carrying moulded flat roof, said by owner to be an addition of 1805. Interior has doorways,
staircases, and coved and moulded ceilings all of early C19 date. House originally called Meadows, it was the home of
the Broadmead family, who demolished many tenements east of the Hanging Gateway (q.v) in early C19 to extend the
grounds of this house, possibly to coincide with its remodelling or rebuilding (VCH vol III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST4241926672

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.