History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School House

A Grade II Listed Building in High Ham, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0645 / 51°3'52"N

Longitude: -2.8064 / 2°48'22"W

OS Eastings: 343589

OS Northings: 129767

OS Grid: ST435297

Mapcode National: GBR MF.FBTD

Mapcode Global: FRA 5609.NHQ

Entry Name: School House

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346077

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263097

Location: High Ham, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: High Ham

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
High Ham

Listing Text

ST43SW HIGH HAM CP THE GREEN
(North side)
2/34 School House
(previously listed as The Old
School House}
17.4.59

GV II


Detached house. 1570 and later. Local lias stone rut and squared, Hal stone dressings; clay pantiled roof between roped gables; brick end chimney stacks. Two storeys, 3 side bays. Bays 1 and 2 have 3-light hollow chamfer mullioned windows, with square label to lower bay 1; bay 3 has ovolo- mould mullioned windows, 3-light above and 4-light below, this last with label: all have G20 steel casement inserts: lower bay 2 has a 2-1ight Window and then a C20 doorway to right, all under label, with C18 style 12-paRel door with glazed light and sidelights; incised on lintol over door. The Old School House 1598- 1937.. Single storey extension to latch against west gable, and flat roofed extension on north side. Interior much altered, but a plaque, formerly over front door and now set over west gable fireplace reads "VT PIASIT, STVDIIS Q. VACET GENEROSA IVVENTS/ HANC ADRIANUS.SCHAELL. SUSTINETAERE/SCHOLAM 1598"; some chamfered cross-beams, and a circular stone stair in north-west corner against fireplace. Built by the Rector appointed in 1570, 'because his churchwardens could neither read nor write' Srhaell was previously tutor to lord Grey's children (Terrell,
Revd RCP: A Guide to St. Andrews Church) .


Listing NGR: ST4358929767

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.