This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0302 / 51°1'48"N
Longitude: -2.7613 / 2°45'40"W
OS Eastings: 346710
OS Northings: 125923
OS Grid: ST467259
Mapcode National: GBR MH.HJ7P
Mapcode Global: FRA 563D.830
Entry Name: The Friends' Meeting House
Listing Date: 17 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346103
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263241
Location: Long Sutton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Long Sutton
Built-Up Area: Long Sutton (South Somerset) B
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/11/2016
LONG SUTTON CP,
LANGPORT ROAD (South side),
The Friends' Meeting House
(Formerly listed as The Friend's Meeting House)
Quaker Meeting House. Dated 1717. Local lias stone ashlar, Ham stone dressings; hipped Welsh slate roof laid in diminishing courses, over stone slate base courses. Single storey with gallery along east side; 3 bays by one bay. Plinth, string course above windows, timber eaves course: north elevation has 18-pane sash windows with thick glazing bars and panelled external shutters, set in plain Ham stone surrounds; to bay 1 a pair of ornamental fielded panel doors in very heavy moulded frame under segmental leap-covered timber hood, which could be early C20; over centre window small square plaque with hood mould, inscribed "Ex Dono/ Willm Steell/Anno Dom/1717". South elevation a mirror image of the north. East elevation has 2 windows, that to ground floor set lower, being a 12-pane sash under label mould, with shutters; above an 18-pane sash window set directly under eaves course and cutting through string course, again with shutters. West elevation has high window only, below which is a C20 flat-roofed lean-to. Interior completely unaltered: through passage on east side, under gallery, with fielded panelling as partition to meeting room proper and as stair enclosure; balustered staircase, stone flag floor: gallery above plain, screened from meeting room by fielded panelling with sliding shutters. Meeting room severely plain: unadorned plasterwork with rounded cove to ceiling; two cast iron column props inserted under gallery beam; pine plank floor, raised along west wall, which has panelled dado; elm benches, many of which appear to be original; several windows have crown glass panes. Friends' meeting held in the parish by 1662, and there was a licensed meeting-house by 1669. It was closed briefly in 1793 and 1798, but prospered after the closure of the Somerton meeting house in 1828.
(VCH, Vol III, 1974; Little, B; 'A Village of Tudors and Quakers'; Country Life 17-10-1968).
Listing NGR: ST4671025923
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings