History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Yeovil, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9415 / 50°56'29"N

Longitude: -2.6328 / 2°37'58"W

OS Eastings: 355632

OS Northings: 115974

OS Grid: ST556159

Mapcode National: GBR MP.NSYL

Mapcode Global: FRA 56CM.B3W

Entry Name: 7, High Street

Listing Date: 17 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346130

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261378

Location: Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA20

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Yeovil

Built-Up Area: Yeovil

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Yeovil

Listing Text

ST5515NE YEOVIL CP HIGH STREET (North side)

8/41 No 7

-

GV
II

Shop, with offices over, 1838. Ashlar ham stone, with flat roof behind the
parapet. 3-storeys, of 3-bays, with a modern shopfront at ground floor level
spanning between 2-fluted Doric attached columns, a stone cornice moulding over
the fascia; to first floor a central 2-sided oriel window with plain sashes,
seated on a projection of the cornice and crowned with a anthemion acroteria,
and flanked by 2-plain sash windows in architraves, with cast iron balcony frets
between low stone piers capped with anthemion ornament; A stone band at oriel
cornice level divides off the 3-second floor windows, 4-pane sashes set in
architraves, the centre being lugged and heeled. Flat pilasters to either side
terminate in a classical dentilled cornice surmounted by a parapet with some
open work and a central pediment containing an incised design featuring the
letters D and B. The interior not inspected. This property not only dominates
one end of King George Street (cut through in c1926) but forms part of the group
for older premises leading round The Borough. The premises built in 1838 to
accommodate a Savings Bank, founded in 1818.


Listing NGR: ST5563215977

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.