History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James with Its South Boundary Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Yeovil, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9437 / 50°56'37"N

Longitude: -2.6636 / 2°39'48"W

OS Eastings: 353475

OS Northings: 116235

OS Grid: ST534162

Mapcode National: GBR MM.NYV7

Mapcode Global: FRA 569M.440

Entry Name: Church of St James with Its South Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 19 March 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346135

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261404

Location: Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA20

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Yeovil

Built-Up Area: Yeovil

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Yeovil

Listing Text

ST51NW YEOVIL CP PRESTON ROAD (North side)
PRESTON PLUCKNETT

1/66 Church of St James with its South
boundary wall

19.3.51

- II*

Built in 1420 as a chapelry, substantially rebuilt in the C19, architect
unknown. Ham stone, with some local cut and squared stone: plain clay tiled
roofs with alternating double courses of fish scale tiles, and with 2-courses
stone slates at eaves. Cruciform plan with West Tower, and 1950's vestry in NE
corner. Tower may be original in part; diagonal buttresses with offsets and
string courses defining each level; small cinquefoil window to hellringers
chamber, with C19 clockface over and C15 style traceried windows to bell
chamber; battlemented copings, gargoyle spouts to each corner. Most of remaining
work of C19 in early C15 style, but North transept day be earlier, the North
window (on which others are based, uniquely has no hood mould). Interior almost
totally of C19 and unremarkable: some pre-C19 memorials in North transept and
the tower space. In a case on the North nave wall the head of the medieval
churchyard cross (see below). The South boundary wall to the churchyard, stone,
approximately 1.5 metres high and some 42 metres long, with roll moulded coping,
of interest the glazed porch and West extension of 1979 not significant.


Listing NGR: ST5347516235

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.