History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Congregational Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Bruton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1121 / 51°6'43"N

Longitude: -2.4544 / 2°27'15"W

OS Eastings: 368285

OS Northings: 134849

OS Grid: ST682348

Mapcode National: GBR MX.B9YR

Mapcode Global: VH8BG.D9SV

Entry Name: Former Congregational Chapel

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346162

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261585

Location: Bruton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Bruton

Built-Up Area: Bruton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bruton

Listing Text

ST6834NW BRUTON CP HIGH STREET (South side)

8/111 No.28
(former Congregational Chapel)
24.3.61

GV II

Chapel, in row, now art gallery. C19 remodelling of C18 house. Doulting stone ashlar, Welsh slate roof behind
parapets. In a plain C18 Gothick style; 2 storeys, symmetrical 5 bays, with bay 3 projecting slightly. Plinth, plain
pilasters, cornice, plain parapet. 'Y'-traceried 2-light pointed wiwndows in plain surrounds, with original leading to
bay 1; pointed arched doorways bays 2 and 4, the former having part window tracery above, the latter on ornate
traceried fanlight; centre bay has Gothic style pointed moulded arch, arched label with headstops, and 4-centre
sub-area over pair doors, in tympanum scroll with legend 'Congre-gational - Chapel'; above a C19 4-light grouped lancet
window, crowned by Dutch style gable in which is an open quatrefoil panel in a circular recess. Chapel gallery remains
inside, as does some good early C20 stained glass in South windows. Newly rebuilt in 1768, the premises were leased as
a house and silk mill; they were converted into the chapel in 1803, and further alterations made in 1836 give its
present form. (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).


Listing NGR: ST6828934845

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.