History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Masonic Hall and No 39 (Attached)

A Grade II Listed Building in Bruton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1117 / 51°6'42"N

Longitude: -2.4556 / 2°27'20"W

OS Eastings: 368204

OS Northings: 134815

OS Grid: ST682348

Mapcode National: GBR MX.B9P3

Mapcode Global: VH8BG.DB62

Entry Name: The Masonic Hall and No 39 (Attached)

Listing Date: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346180

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261565

Location: Bruton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Bruton

Built-Up Area: Bruton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bruton

Listing Text

ST6834NW BRUTON CP HIGH STREET (North side)


8/92 The Masonic Hall and No 39
(attached)

GV II

Hall and house in row. Dated 1642, 1684 and C19. Local stone rubble with Doulting stone dressings and ashlar; plain
clay tiles to house and concrete double Roman tiles to hall, both behind coped gables; brick chimney stack. House 2
storeys, 2 bays; Hall single storey, one gabled bay, slightly projecting. Plinth, ashlar boards and eaves course, bays
1 and 2; with plain chamfer mullioned windows, that to ground floor having label with diamond stops; to lower bay 1
arched opening into Warren Close under similar label: Hall has 4-light chamfer mullioned and transomed window under
label, with blocked 4-centre arched doorway to left, over which is panel with masonic emblem; eaves level string course
to gable, above is an oval panel in rectangular frame dated 1684 and set under hood mould, with similar circular panel
above. Rear gable of hall plain, but with small rectangular panel and datestone 1642. Interior not seen. On the site of
the Market Hall Court House, in use as such until 1790, and incorporating parts of these buildings. (Couzens P, Bruton
in Selwood, Abbey press, Sherborne, 1972).


Listing NGR: ST6820434815

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.