History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glen House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bruton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.113 / 51°6'46"N

Longitude: -2.4515 / 2°27'5"W

OS Eastings: 368487

OS Northings: 134958

OS Grid: ST684349

Mapcode National: GBR MX.B4PQ

Mapcode Global: VH8BG.G9B2

Entry Name: Glen House

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346193

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261638

Location: Bruton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Bruton

Built-Up Area: Bruton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bruton

Listing Text

BRUTON CP QUAPERLAKE STREET (South side)
ST6834NW
8/165 Glen House
(also known as The Glen)
24.3.61
GV II

House, end of row. C17 and C18. Local stone cut and squared, Doulting stone dressings; Ludlow pattern concrete tile
roof with plain gables; brick end and intermediate chimney stacks. 'T'-plan with additions; 2 storeys with attic,
4-bays. Plinth; left of bay 1 an oval first floor window in plain surround; to bay 1 lower a 4- light ovolo mould
timber frame window, above a composite 2-light casement; to bay 2 a 12-pane sash window at mezzanine level; to bay 3 a
C20 glazed door in stone surround with fluted attached Doric columns carrying entablature with modillions and metopes,
flat head, with recessed footscraper on right side; bay 4 has upper 4-pane sash window; several former window openings
blocked. Rear elevation in Regency style, featuring a timber fret balcony on a fan corbel to one bedroom. To east
rear a former dairy wing incorporating several C18 carved stones, and several others in use as garden ornaments, all
probably from Bruton Abbey, demolished after 1786. Inside early shutters to ovolo mould window and two 2- panel doors
to that room, circular wood stair next to fireplace in gable wall; a C18 dining room; lantern-lit staircase of C18
style. Once the house of Mr. Wood, silk throwster, who had a large pleasure ground and garden; Sexey's school began
here in 1889 whilst the present premises were being built. (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne,
1972).


Listing NGR: ST6848734958

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.