History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Ethelburgh

A Grade II* Listed Building in Millington, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9746 / 53°58'28"N

Longitude: -0.7615 / 0°45'41"W

OS Eastings: 481332

OS Northings: 453879

OS Grid: SE813538

Mapcode National: GBR RQ3G.YZ

Mapcode Global: WHFC8.8CNC

Entry Name: Church of Saint Ethelburgh

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Last Amended: 23 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346278

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166979

Location: Millington, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO42

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Millington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Great Givendale St Ethelburga

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Bishop Wilton

Listing Text

SE 85 SW MILLINGTON GREAT GIVENDALE


5/11 Church of Saint
Ethelburgh
26.1.67 (Formerly listed as Church of St.
Ethelburga under General)

II*

Church. Rebuilt 1849, using old materials, by W H Dykes. Ashlar, slate
roof. Nave with twin bellcote, chancel. Nave has pointed 2-light window
with C19 tracery in Curvilinear style. Pointed double-chamfered south door.
Buttresses with offsets mark position of chancel arch. Chancel: C13 low-
side window with trefoil head, beneath trefoil-headed lancet, to west,
pointed window with Y-tracery under hood-mould to east. Pointed east window
of 3 lights with intersecting tracery under hood-mould. Interior: mid C13
stoup to west of south door. lid C12 chancel arch of 3 orders with attached
shafts and scalloped capitals carved with interlaced foliage and human faces
supporting round arch of 2 outer square orders with chevrons and inner order
with deep roll-mouldings. Trefoil headed sedilium and trefoil-headed
piscina to south wall of chancel. Brass wall-memorial with inscription, in
Latin, to George Jackson, died 1641, on north wall of chancel; on south
wall, tablet to Sir Jonathan Atkins (died 1702 aged 99), his son John Atkins
(died 1732, aged 79) and his sister Jane Atkins (died 1761, aged 100).


Listing NGR: SE8133253879

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.