This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1157 / 51°6'56"N
Longitude: 0.5815 / 0°34'53"E
OS Eastings: 580776
OS Northings: 138324
OS Grid: TQ807383
Mapcode National: GBR PT1.XHC
Mapcode Global: VHJN7.1771
Entry Name: West Range at Sissinghurst Castle
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Last Amended: 19 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 168877
Location: Cranbrook, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Cranbrook & Sissinghurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
CRANBROOK BIDDENDEN ROAD
TQ 83 NW (north side)
4/26 West Range at
9.6.52 (formerly listed as part
of Sissinghurst Castle)
Stable range, now house and 2 flats. Circa 1490, restored and altered C1930-40,
for Sir Harold Nicholson and Vita Sackville-West. Red brick with rubbed red
brick mouldings. Plat band to right of centre and a gabled projections. Plain
tiled roofs, hipped with deep gablet to left, gabled with tumbled parapet to
right. end stack to right, tall ridge stack off-centre to right and circa 1930
stack with projecting buttressed chimney breast to front towards left-hand end.
Return tumble-parapetted gabled projections to left and right of centre, with
single 3-centred arched windows with simple Perpendicular-style brick tracery in
recessed surrounds under brick drip-moulds on first and attic floors. Very
wide 3-centred arched recesses on ground floor with boarded doors in recess.
Two storeys and attics in centre and to right with 4 gabled dormers. Irregular
fenestration of 14 windows on the first floor, including the 2 arched and
traceried windows in the gabled projections and a third, without recess or drip-
mould, 5 windows from the left. Five windows on the ground floor. Wooden case-
ments with diamond lattice glazing in rubbed brick surrounds. Boarded doors
in recesses below gabled projections, as well as to right of centre, and towards
right-hand end with flat hood. Central archway between projections, with 3-
centred arched surround and stone mouldings. Drip-mould and crests in the
spandrels. To the rear, the arch is flanked by buttresses topped by moulded
octagonal brick chimneys with a parapetted gable in between at roof level.
Moulded octagonal pinnacle to gable with round panel below over brick mullioned
window with drip-mould. Similar irregular fenestration as east front, and
boarded doors to left and right ends and to right of centre. This was the
entrance range of a house earlier than that later built to the east by
Sir Richard Baker who inherited in 1558. The coat of arms over the inner arch-
way, dated 1548, was brought from Carnock in Stirlingshire. See N Nicholson,
Sissinghurst Castle, National Trust, 1983.
Listing NGR: TQ8077038394
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings