This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8454 / 53°50'43"N
Longitude: -0.4313 / 0°25'52"W
OS Eastings: 503306
OS Northings: 439936
OS Grid: TA033399
Mapcode National: GBR TRFZ.F8
Mapcode Global: WHGF4.BLWX
Entry Name: Norwood House (Now Beverley High School for Girls)
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346387
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167400
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Beverley
Built-Up Area: Beverley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beverley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
In the entry for:
9/279 Norwood House
(now Beverley High
School for Girls)
"National Monument Register Photograph" shall be added at the end of the
TA 0339 BEVERLEY NORWOOD
9/279 Norwood House (now
1.3.50 Beverley High School for
Circa 1765-70, probably built for the attorney, Jonathan Midgley, twice Mayor of
Beverley. Red brick with painted stone dressings. Centre block under a wide
pediment and 2 low angle wings terminating in small square pavilions to form
forecourt. Centre block of 3 storeys, 5 windows wide. Ground floor faced in
rusticated stone. Centre door has vermiculated rustication to architrave and
other member, plain consoles, pulvinate frieze, 3 key blocks, cornice with bad
mould broken over consoles, 8-panel door and fanlight. 2 elaborate contemporary
wrought iron lamp brackets. 1st floor moulded cill string with balusters inset
under each window. Centre window has stone architrave broadening out at base
and resting on stone plinths to form a composition with the doorway beneath. It
is crowned by pulvinate frieze and cornice. Other 1st floor windows have gauged
brick arches surmounted by light stone cornices. 2nd floor windows have stone
cills and gauged arches. Block bracketed crowning cornice in wood. Full width
triangular pediment contains a cartouche framing a bull's eye. From this
pediment husks trail down to the cornice. 3 plinths to pediment, possibly
originally supporting urns now missing. 1 side wing has been completely
rebuilt, the other to the west of 1 storey has 2 windows facing south and east
respectively, set in arched recesses. Stone string and moulded cope to
parapet, with balusters inset over the windows, stone base. Terminal pavilion
of 2 storeys has Venetian window in stone set in recessed arch facing east into
the forecourt. 1 plain window in arched recess faces south. Stone string and
base. Roof hipped to centre is slated and has been raised 3 feet with little
disfigurement. Garden front is a simpler version of south front with wood
cornice, fine stone doorcase and an elaborate glazed door. Library block of c.1825,
built for W Beverley, the fittings being of Grecian style. Interior: possesses
a fine staircase with carved tread ends, and some notable stucco work and
Chimneypieces. The Drawing Room has an important Rococo ceiling based on
Colen Campbell's design for a ceiling for Compton Place, Eastbourne. Palladian'
overdoor and marble mantel with stucco overmantel containing a composition
of cherubs' heads. The stucco work is in the style of Joseph Page of Hull.
The doorcases are derived from a plate in Kent's 'Designs of Inigo Jones'.
A remarkable house of modest dimensions.
Listing NGR: TA0330639936
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings