This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4334 / 51°26'0"N
Longitude: 0.3515 / 0°21'5"E
OS Eastings: 563552
OS Northings: 173114
OS Grid: TQ635731
Mapcode National: GBR NMQ.5P8
Mapcode Global: VHJLK.17PG
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346415
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356884
Location: Gravesham, Kent, DA11
Electoral Ward/Division: Coldharbour
Built-Up Area: Northfleet
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Perry Street, All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 67 SW NORTHFLEET PERRY STREET
8/134 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Parish Church. 1869-70 by James Brooks in Gothic style, builder Thomas Blake of
Stone Street, Gravesend, Kent. Built of squared Kentish ragstone with Bath stone
dressings & tiled roof. Nave with bellcote to east and north and south aisles, lower
chancel with aisles continuing from nave to form 2 vestries on north side and an
organ chamber on the south side. North porch, the west bay of the north aisle
serving as vestibule to entrance from the north porch. Nave: gable ended with stone
coping and cross shaped saddlestone to west and with double arched gabled stone
bellcote to east with cross-shaped iron finial. Clerestory has 3 windows; double
round-headed arches with circular window above. 4 round-arched windows to aisle
and plinth. Chancel: separated from nave by buttress. Clerestory has 3 round-
headed arches and there is a chimney with a circular stone chimney-pot. Vestries
have 3 rounded-arched windows and pointed arched door surround with cross motif in
the tympanum and underneath a Caernarvon arched door with zigzag moulding, paterae
and Celtic type iron arch to plank door. North porch has pointed arched doorcase
with 5 stone steps. The inner arch has dogtooth moulding and stiff-leaf capitals.
South door has pointed head with dripmould and oak plank door with iron scroll work.
Interior has 4½ bay nave with pointed arches, columns with stiff-leaf capitals based
on the capitals at Rodmell or St Annes, Lewes;and end narrower trefoliated arched
doorway leading to north porch and south door. Trussed rafter roof of waggon form
in pine. West window has 2 tall pointed lancets with large plate traceried rose
window above. Octagonal font of Ashburton marble on alabaster and marble base with
8 columns and oak and iron cover. Pulpit is semi-circular in Gothic style with Caen
stone, alabaster and marble. Brass eagle lectern of 1870-77. Floor of centre aisle
of nave tiled. Pews are pine with pierced ends. Stained glass windows to aisles with
scenes from the Gospels. Chancel has large pointed chancel arch with later rood.
3 round-headed arched windows to clerestory . Large painted arch on stiff-leaf
corbels to vestry and organ loft. East window geometrical, a large triple
trefoliated lancet with 3 roundels above. Stained glass showing Christ in Majesty
with angels above and saints and prophets below. Arched braced collar trussed roof.
Credence niche with grey marble shelf to south wall of chancel. Chancel and
sanctuary are floored with Maw's encaustic tiles. Pine chair stalls with pierced
fronts and ends. Pine organ case and painted pipes.
(See 'Building News' July 1874; Newman. Buildings of England. West Kent and the
Weald rev. 1976 pp 438)
Listing NGR: TQ6365173198
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings