History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burton Agnes Hall

A Grade I Listed Building in Burton Agnes, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0536 / 54°3'13"N

Longitude: -0.3167 / 0°19'0"W

OS Eastings: 510290

OS Northings: 463273

OS Grid: TA102632

Mapcode National: GBR VP7K.7N

Mapcode Global: WHHFC.3CFR

Entry Name: Burton Agnes Hall

Listing Date: 11 January 1952

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346451

English Heritage Legacy ID: 167771

Location: Burton Agnes, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Burton Agnes

Built-Up Area: Burton Agnes

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Burton Agnes St Martin

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Burton Agnes

Listing Text

BURTON AGNES MAIN STREET
TA 1063-1163
(north side, off)
11/15 Burton Agnes Hall
11.1.52
GV I

Country house. c1601-10, dated "HF 1601" above door, "1602" on porch, "ANO
1602" and "ANO 1603" on rainwater heads, probably by Robert Smythson for Sir
Henry Griffith, with later additions and alterations including those of
c1730 for Sir Griffith Boynton, 5th Bart, and mid-late C20 restorations for
Marcus Wickham-Boynton by Francis Johnson. Pinkish-orange brick in English
bond with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Approximately square on
plan with inner courtyard. South front: 3 storeys with attics to gables, 8
bays: bays 3 and 6 project slightly; bays 1 and 8 project further and are
gabled and have 3-storey bow windows; bays 4 and 5 share a gable. Moulded
ashlar plinth. Quoins. Flight of 5 steps across 2 central bays, with goats
carrying shields on plinths to ends. Entrance to inner return of third bay
a C17 studded panelled door with massive bronze knocker within full-height
ashlar architrave. Architrave of panels of strapwork decoration between
fluted columns with Ionic capitals on pedestals supporting frieze and
moulded cornice at first-floor level. To first floor are fluted columns
with Corinthian capitals on pedestals, with heraldic band between and plaque
with family motto, frieze with guilloche moulding, cornice. Second floor
has order of composite capitals on pedestals with Elizabethan coat of arms
between, guilloche frieze, moulded cornice surmounted by strapwork cresting.
To facing return of sixth bay a balancing ashlar decoration to full height
in more Classical style with niches containing statues to each floor, and
surmounted by similar cresting. Bays 1 and 8 have rounded 10-light ovolo-
moulded mullion-and-transom bay windows to each storey surmounted by
balconies with fluted balustrades. Gables have casement windows within
ashlar architraves. Otherwise ground floor has full-height 24-pane sashes
in moulded architraves with hoodmoulds which break continuous moulded first-
floor string course, except to second bay which has 4-light ovolo-moulded
mullion window with 6-pane casements. First floor: second and seventh bay
have 24-pane sashes otherwise central bays have 8-pane fixed lights, all
within tooled ashlar architraves. Continuous moulded first-floor string
course. Second floor has unequally-hung 20-pane sashes in moulded
architraves to 6 centre bays. Continuous moulded second-floor string
course. To centre a gable containing 12-pane fixed-light casement window in
tooled ashlar architrave. Battlements to second and seventh bays. Ashlar
copings and finials. Strapwork cresting to bays 3 and 6. Groups of 3 star-
shaped stacks to inner returns of bays 1 and 8, similar side and rear
stacks. Rear (north facade): 2 storeys with attics, 5 bays of which bays 1,
3 and 5 project and all but centre bay have gables. Quoins. Ground floor
has 6-, 5-, 3-, 5- and 6-light mullion-and-transom windows within double-
chamfered surrounds. First-floor band. Mainly 12-pane sashes to first
floor with one casement window, all within ovolo-moulded, double-chamfered
architraves. Attics have 3-light, ovolo-moulded, double-chamfered mullion
windows under hoodmoulds with quoined jambs. Battlements. Ashlar copings.
West facade: irregular facade of 2 storeys with attics to gables and 7 bays,
of which third and fifth project slightly. Northern bay has a 6-sided
canted bay and southern bay has 5-sided, 3-storey bay window. Quoins.
Entrance a 6-fielded-panel door within tooled surround. Ground floor has
4-, 3-, 5-, 4- and 2-light mullion-and-transom windows. 2-light mullion
window to northern canted bay and 3-light mullion window above door. 10-
light double-chamfered ovolo-moulded mullion and transom windows to each
floor of southern bay. Moulded first-floor string course. First floor:
sixth bay has 8-light mullion-and-transom window within ovolo-moulded,
double-chamfered surround. Otherwise long 12- and 18-pane sashes in double-
chamfered architraves. Second-floor string course. 3-light mullion window
to first bay. To sixth bay a Venetian window, the centre a 35-pane
unequally-hung sash with radial glazing to head and long 12-pane sashes to
sides. Architrave has Ionic pilasters. Ashlar copings. Star stacks. East
facade: 2- and 3-storeys with attics, 10 bays, the southernmost a 5-sided,
3-storey bay, the northernmost a 2-storey canted bay. Garden entrance to
sixth bay: steps to glazed door with overlight in bolection-moulded, eared
architrave. South bay, canted,with 10-light, double-chamfered, ovolo-moulded
mullion-and-transom windows to each floor. North bay has 8-light double-
chamfered ovolo-moulded mullion-and-transom windows to both floors.
Otherwise ground and first floors have 18-pane sashes within moulded
architraves. Continuous hoodmoulds. To third floor a Venetian window
complementing that to west facade. Attics have 2- and 3-light mullion
windows in ovolo-moulded, double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds.
Battlements. Ashlar copings, star-shaped stacks. Interior retains many C17
and C18 features including Great Hall with magnificent Elizabethan plaster
screen with biblical, allegorical and mythological figures, dated 1603,
elaborately carved oak panelling, also a massive alabaster chimney-piece
carved with the Wise and Foolish Virgins and incorporating the arms of Sir
Thomas Boynton and his 3 wives, this latter brought from the now demolished
Barmston Hall. Ceiling plasterwork c1720-30. Drawing room has Elizabethan
oak panelling carved with decorative blind arches between pilasters,
strapwork frieze, overmantel has allegorical Dance of Death; early C18
ceiling. Chinese Room has wall covered in laquer panels c1700 and brought
in c1732; Rococo pine chimney-piece installed late C20. Dining room has
early C17 chimney-piece, overmantel with Virtues and Vices from Long Gallery
and early C18 cornice. Inner hall has carved Elizabethan panelling;
continuous newel staircase with newel posts linked by a series of
elaborately carved arches, bobbin balusters. First floor has early-mid C18
panelled drawing room. King's State Bedroom has carved panelling and ribbed
stucco ceiling c1603 and Queen's State Bedroom has panelling following a
geometrical pattern taken from Serlio, chimney-piece and overmantel with
allegorical figures of Patience, Truth, Constance and Victory dated 12 July
1610, stucco ceiling decorated with intertwining leaf and flower patterns.
Justice's Room has painted linenfold panelling c1530 with portrait
medallions from Kilnwick Hall, Driffield (demolished 1951) and previously at
Leconfield Castle, Beverley. To second floor a long gallery restored by
Francis Johnson, 1974. West wing (not fully inspected) has further early
C17 panelled rooms, some with overmantels carved with allegorical figures,
and with decorative plaster ceilings. Some rooms have linenfold panelling,
others have early C18 bolection-moulded panelling. Pevsner N, Yorkshire,
York and the East Riding, 1978, pp 207-210. Girouard M, Robert Smythson and
The Elizabethan Country House, 1985, pp 169, 185-8. Arthur Oswald, Burton
Agnes Hall, Yorkshire, I, II, III", Country Life, 6 June 1953, pp 1804-7; 11
June 1953, pp 1886-9; 18 June 1953, pp 1972-5.


Listing NGR: TA1027763265

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.