History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Scawby, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5411 / 53°32'28"N

Longitude: -0.5461 / 0°32'45"W

OS Eastings: 496445

OS Northings: 405926

OS Grid: SE964059

Mapcode National: GBR SWMH.KB

Mapcode Global: WHGGM.L854

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 6 November 1967

Last Amended: 6 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346510

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166061

Location: Scawby, North Lincolnshire, DN20

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Scawby

Built-Up Area: Scawby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Scawby and Redbourne

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Brigg

Listing Text


SE 9605-9705 SCAWBY VICARAGE LANE
(west side)

19/100 The Old Vicarage
(formerly listed as The
6.11.67 Old Vicarage, Garage
Lane)

GV II

Vicarage, now house. 1790 for Amaziah Empson, vicar. Rear addition and
internal alterations of 1868 by Henry Goddard of Lincoln; bay window and
internal alterations between 1917 and 1935; later C20 additions to rear.
Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and red brick stacks; yellow
brick to C19 addition. L-shaped on plan: original double-depth 2-room
central entrance-hall east front with canted bays flanking entrance,
2 kitchens, dairy, etc to wing, rear right; C19 single-room addition to rear
left, adjoining study converted to rear hall; canted bay added to left
return, front dining room opened to rear hall in early C20. 3 storeys,
3 bays; symmetrical. Ashlar quoins, plinth. Roman Doric door-case with
attached columns carrying entablature with fluted frieze, dentilled cornice
and open pediment; 6-panelled door (4 glazed panels above fielded panels)
beneath cornice and fanlight in arched panelled reveal. 2-storey canted
bays with 12-pane sashes in flush wooden architraves with sills and stucco
flat arches. First floor: similar windows to bays and above entrance.
Parapets to canted bays with coved ashlar cornices. Second floor: 6-pane
sashes in similar surrounds. Deep moulded wooden eaves cornice and gutter.
Stone-coped gables with shaped kneelers. End stacks. Left return forms
south garden front: C19 canted bay with French window flanked by full-length
plate-glass sashes beneath ashlar lintels; stepped eaves cornice. C20
canted bay to right with 12-pane sashes beneath stucco flat arches and coped
parapet. Sashes with glazing bars, C19 first-floor canted wooden oriel to
right return. Interior. Original chimney-pieces to first-floor front rooms
with pilasters, dentilled cornices and composition ornament, coved plaster
cornice to stairhall. C19 Gothic-style open-well oak staircase with
pointed-arch balustrade. Main ground-floor rooms remodelled in neo-
Classical style in early C20, probably early 1920s when house ceased to be
vicarage. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire,
1978, p352.


Listing NGR: SE9644505926

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.