History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brumby House

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingsway with Lincoln Gardens, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5757 / 53°34'32"N

Longitude: -0.6484 / 0°38'54"W

OS Eastings: 489590

OS Northings: 409638

OS Grid: SE895096

Mapcode National: GBR RWX2.DY

Mapcode Global: WHGGD.0DH4

Entry Name: Brumby House

Listing Date: 7 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346549

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166262

Location: North Lincolnshire, DN16

County: North Lincolnshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Kingsway with Lincoln Gardens

Built-Up Area: Scunthorpe

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Brumby St Hugh

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Scunthorpe

Listing Text

SCUNTHORPE BRUMBY HOUSE DRIVE
SE 80 NE
(east side)
3/1 Brumby House
-
7/11/66

GV II


House. Plaque on rear wing initialled and dated T I 1705, refronted in
early C19 with later rear extension; renovated, including replacement of
windows and doors, in 1979. Brick, with extension in coursed ironstone
rubble; rendered. Pantile roof with stone coping and brick stacks.
L-plan, with central entrances in both wings. 2 storeys. Main front
(to south). 5 bays, symmetrical. Plinth. Panelled door under
rectangular 4-pane overlight. 16-pane sashes, the central first floor
window recessed. Flat cornice band, stone coped gables, end stack on
right. Left-return, of 3 bays with extension to left, has a panelled
door and rectangular 4-pane overlight beneath a moulded brick date
plaque with raised border and winged cherub's head. 16-pane sashes,
with an attic casement to the right. Massive axial stack. Interior
features probably dating from 1705 include the closed string staircase
in the front wing with vase balusters, a wide segmental-arched chamfered
brick fireplace at ground floor left, and ovolo-moulded ceiling beams
with tongue stops in the 3 main ground floor rooms. M E Armstrong (ed),
An Industrial Island - A History of Scunthorpe, 1982, pp 10-12.


Listing NGR: SE8959009638

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.