History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Harpham, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.032 / 54°1'55"N

Longitude: -0.354 / 0°21'14"W

OS Eastings: 507909

OS Northings: 460807

OS Grid: TA079608

Mapcode National: GBR TPZT.5D

Mapcode Global: WHGD6.JXND

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 20 September 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346656

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166902

Location: Harpham, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Harpham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Lowthorpe St Martin

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Kilham

Listing Text

TA 06 SE HARPHAM LOWTHORPE

4/43 Church of St Martin
20.9.66

GV II*


Church. Chancel about 1330, C15 tower, raised in C18, nave rebuilt in C19,
C19 south porch. Sandstone ashlar, coursed squared chalk rubble, brick in
English garden wall bond to belfry, slate roof. 2-stage west tower, 4-bay
nave, ruinous 2-bay chancel (originally 3 bays or more). West tower:
double-chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets and gablets. Pointed
belfry openings with timber Y-tracery, stepped cornice to crenellated
parapet with corner obelisks. West window of 2 lights with mullion, ΒΌ-round
moulding to reveals, and segmental heads under dripmould. 2 lifts of putlog
holes blocked with bricks above. Nave: chamfered plinth, buttresses with
offsets. Lancet to west with cusped tracery, two 2-light windows with
cusped Y-tracery to east. Pointed south doorway with continuous roll-
moulding. coped gables. Chancel: west bay has chamfered plinth.
Buttresses with offsets. 3-light pointed window to west with high-quality
Reticulated tracery and iron glazing bars, now reduced to one light. Human
head hood-mould stop to right. Pointed priest's door in deep segmental-
headed embrasure to right. Fragments of crenellations over. North wall has
2 pointed windows with similar high-quality Reticulated tracery. C16 east
window of 4 lights with mullions and transoms. Interior: nave has C14
double-chamfered pointed chancel arch on moulded capitals with rosettes and
stylised fig leaves. Fragment of a brass in north wall: knight and part of
accompanying inscription, 1443. (The matrix for this brass lies in the
chancel floor). C14 recumbent effigy of a couple carved as if partly
concealed beneath a tree with shields at the roots and 6 branches to each
side, each branch terminating in the head of a child. West wall bears a
memorial to John Newton erected by his widow Jane and giving old style and
new style dates (1739/40) together with some verses previously written by
the deceased and his wife. To the south, a memorial to their children 1735.
Below, a pre-Conquest cross-head with interlace ornament. Chancel: re-set
trefoil-headed piscina in east wall. Large collection of inscribed and
architectural fragments. 'The chancel of the Church of Saint Martin is
scheduled as an Ancient Monument.


Listing NGR: TA0790960807

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.