History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block at Hotham Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Cave, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7922 / 53°47'31"N

Longitude: -0.6415 / 0°38'29"W

OS Eastings: 489590

OS Northings: 433734

OS Grid: SE895337

Mapcode National: GBR RSYL.XB

Mapcode Global: WHGF7.3YS6

Entry Name: Stable Block at Hotham Hall

Listing Date: 16 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346681

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165039

Location: North Cave, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO43

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: North Cave

Built-Up Area: Hotham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: North Cave All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
North Newbald

Listing Text

SE 83 SE NORTH CAVE THE PARK

8/76 Stable block at Hotham
Hall

16.12.66

GV II *


Stable block. 1769 on weather-vane, possibly by Thomas Atkinson. Coursed
rubble, Westmorland slate roof. U-shaped on plan with extension to rear
facade. 2-storey, 7-bay central section with 5-bay extension to rear,
flanked by 2-storey, 5-bay wings. Spinal range: bays arranged 2:3:2 with
central pedimented section breaking forward. Tall central carriage arch
with keystone and imposts rising through 2 storeys flanked by stable doors
beneath flat stone arches. Symmetrical outer sections each have tall
elliptically-arched carriage entrance with double doors, and board door
beneath flat stone arch, with lean-to glass roof at return of right end.
First floor: 6-pane sashes. Central broad ashlar pediment contains clock
face and re-located datestone "GMM 1683", and squat platform breaking
through roof above carries open cupola with ogee lead roof surmounted by
weather-vane bearing date. Side wings mirror one another and each has
central round-arched recess, that to left wing containing board door, that
to right wing blind, flanked by unequal 12-pane sashes and board doors
beneath flat stone arches. First floor: 6-pane sashes, some openings blind.
Hipped roofs. Gable ends each have Venetian window with Diocletian window
above. Extension to rear facade: 2 storeys, 5 bays. Board door in fourth
bay, and sashes with glazing bars. Blind upper storey. Early C20 garages
added to rear not of special interest. The datestone in the pediment has
been brought here from the demolished Manor House at North Cave belonging to
George Montgomery Metham, and has no relevance to the building history of
Hotham Hall. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 1972.
Victoria History of the County of York East Riding, Vol IV, 1979.


Listing NGR: SE8959033734

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.