This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5796 / 53°34'46"N
Longitude: -0.7788 / 0°46'43"W
OS Eastings: 480953
OS Northings: 409911
OS Grid: SE809099
Mapcode National: GBR RW01.6K
Mapcode Global: WHFF6.09F5
Entry Name: Syphon Carrying South Level Engine Drain Under the River Torne Approximately 200 Metres South East of Pilfrey Farm
Listing Date: 10 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346690
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165188
Location: Keadby with Althorpe, North Lincolnshire, DN17
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Keadby with Althorpe
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Althorpe and Keadby St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SE 80 NW KEADBY WITH ALTHORPE A 18
SE 8095 0990
8/124 Syphon carrying South
Level Engine Drain under
the River Torne
approximately 200 metres
south-east of Pilfrey
Drain syphon. c1813 by Thackray. Tooled ashlar facing and parapet. Brick
tunnels. Approximately 50 metres long from north to south. North and south
sides have 3 segmental-headed tunnel entrances flanking a pair of rounded
cutwaters, with a band and coped parapet between rectangular end piers. The
tunnels slope sharply down below the waterline. Carries the combined waters
of South Level Engine Drain and Folly Drain below the former course of the
River Torne (now disused) and the A18 road. The River Torne was cut between
1629-39 by Cornelius Vermuyden; South Level Engine Drain [prior to 1858
known as the New Idle River] was cut as part of the improvements made by
Samuel Foster 1795 or shortly after. The syphon appears to be part of
further improvements made by Thackray in or after 1813, following John
Rennies proposals. The upper drain (River Torne) has since been diverted
and the original course now fallen into disuse. Other drain syphons survive
at Sandtoft, Belton parish (qv), and south of the A18, Crowle parish (qv).
G Dunston, The Rivers of Axholme, (no date), p 49; MHAD "How the Drains
Came", pt 11, Appleby-Frodingham News, vol 15, No 4, 1962, pp 29-30; V Cory,
Hatfield and Axholme an Historical Review, 1986, p 84.
Listing NGR: SE8095309911
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.