This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4945 / 53°29'40"N
Longitude: -0.7795 / 0°46'46"W
OS Eastings: 481066
OS Northings: 400449
OS Grid: SE810004
Mapcode National: GBR RX01.11
Mapcode Global: WHFFL.0F2D
Entry Name: Nos 1-6 Bagsbury Road Almshouses
Listing Date: 10 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165196
Location: Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire, DN9
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Owston Ferry
Built-Up Area: Owston Ferry
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Owston Ferry St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/02/2017
Nos 1-6, Bagsbury Road Almshouses
(Formerly listed as Almshouses Nos 1-6 (consecutive) BAGSBY LANE (south side))
Almshouses. 1860 for Frances Sandars. Red brick in Flemish bond with limestone ashlar, blue and yellow brick dressings. Welsh slate roof. Rectangular on plan, each house with a two-room front, kitchen wing and yard to rear. Single storey, 17-bay symmetrical south front with gabled central and end bays breaking forward. Chamfered plinth. Steps to ashlar entrances with board doors on wrought-iron strap hinges beneath chamfered four-centred arches with carved foliate spandrels in square-headed chamfered reveals. Two and three-light ashlar mullioned windows, each light with three panes, in chamfered reveals. Similar three-light windows to end bays; pair of single-light windows to central bay. All openings with quoined surrounds. Gabled bays have flush yellow brick bands at eaves level. Central gable has lozenge panel bearing arms in relief, and large stone tablet above with carved spandrels and a segmental-headed panel inscribed:
dedicated these houses to
Almighty God for ever
For the benefit of Aged females
End gables each have a pair of octagonal ashlar panels beneath blue brick crosses. Coped gables with shaped kneelers throughout, the central gable with a good carved figure finial of a seated old woman in bonnet and apron, reading; pointed carved finials to end bays. Steeply pitched roof with banded plain and octagonal fish-scale slates. Corniced end stacks and ridge stacks with pointed recessed yellow brick panels to front. Stacks have alternating louvred cylindrical and crenellated octagonal pots. Still in use as almshouses. Built on a raised platform overlooking open fields, with a ha-ha around south and east sides faced with squared rock-faced limestone.
Frances Sandars, a local benefactor, also provided the Market Place Lamp (qv), the churchyard archway (qv) and many gifts to the church.
W Read, The History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, pp 303-4, p 396.
Listing NGR: SE8106600449
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings