This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5967 / 53°35'48"N
Longitude: -0.8291 / 0°49'44"W
OS Eastings: 477589
OS Northings: 411765
OS Grid: SE775117
Mapcode National: GBR QVNV.9D
Mapcode Global: WHFDZ.7VFK
Entry Name: Tetley Hall
Listing Date: 10 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165113
Location: Crowle, North Lincolnshire, DN17
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Crowle and Ealand
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Crowle St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SE 71 SE CROWLE WHARF ROAD
(south-west side, off)
3/53 Tetley Hall
House and adjoining ranges. Main range of 1829-39 for Henry Lister Maw,
courtyard range to right of mid - late C18 for George Stovin (later Lister).
Red-brown brick. Welsh slate roof to main range, pantile roof to courtyard
range. Main range T shaped on plan: 2-room, central entrance-hall south
front with stairhall and small study to rear. Small courtyard to east
enclosed by screen wall to south and outbuildings to east; altered range to
north side is not of special interest. Main range, south front: 2 storeys,
4 bays; asymmetrical. Stucco plinth. Entrance to third bay has step to
large flush-panelled double doors and overlight with margin lights in reveal
beneath rubbed-brick cambered arch. Pair of French windows to left with
margin lights, full-height segmental bow to right with full-length ground-
floor tripartite sash, and shorter first-floor tripartite sash with glazing
bars; 12-pane first-floor sashes to left. All windows with sills and
rubbed-brick cambered arches. Stepped brick eaves band. Deep eaves.
Hipped roof. Central and side wall stacks with chamfered shafts and stone
coping. Left return, rear wing, has 16-pane sashes and panelled cellar door
beneath window with margin lights. Rear has tall round-headed stair-window
with margin lights, and 16-pane sashes. Courtyard range: coped screen wall
adjoining to right, single-storey height, has blocked entrance with rubbed-
brick segmental arch with chamfered ashlar keystone and quoins to top, base
and centre of jambs; east range adjoining at right angles has single-storey
outhouse with segmental-arched door to left, dentilled brick eaves cornice
and tumbled-in brick to gables with stone coping and shaped kneelers. Short
section of stone-coped wall to right, adjoining north range, has segmental-
arched entrance with ashlar dressings similar to south screen wall.
Courtyard contains water pump with relief figure and date 1767. Interior of
main range largely unaltered. Entrance lobby with half-glazed panelled door
and sidelights with glazing bars, hall with moulded cornice, round-arched
opening to stairhall; open-well cantilevered staircase (with re-set
panelling below) with wreathed handrail, fluted balusters and profiled
cheek-pieces; round-arched openings to first-floor, moulded cornice to upper
hall. Large drawing room, ground floor left, has plasterwork acanthus
ceiling rose with anthemion border, moulded cornice and frieze; fine
composition chimney-piece with detached fluted columns, acanthus capitals,
frieze with central panel bearing figure in oval surround flanked by figures
and festoons, moulded cornice, moulded grey marble slip and inserted late
C19 projecting tiled fireplace from Sprotborough Hall. Dining room, ground
floor right, has plasterwork grapevine frieze, moulded cornice and
pilastered black marble chimney-piece with small raised shield to frieze.
Moulded cornice to rear study. Main rooms have panelled window shutters and
6-panelled doors in pedimented architraves. Not fully investigated. The
earlier courtyard range is similar to the stable/granary ranges to the south
(qv), one of which bears wrought-iron letters "G S" and incomplete date
"178-". W Read, History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, p 256.
Listing NGR: SE7758911765
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings