History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in West Butterwick, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5461 / 53°32'45"N

Longitude: -0.7395 / 0°44'22"W

OS Eastings: 483618

OS Northings: 406230

OS Grid: SE836062

Mapcode National: GBR RW8F.PK

Mapcode Global: WHFFD.M42B

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 15 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346713

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165215

Location: West Butterwick, North Lincolnshire, DN17

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: West Butterwick

Built-Up Area: West Butterwick

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: West Butterwick St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
East Butterwick

Listing Text

SE 80 NW WEST BUTTERWICK NORTH STREET
(east side)

8/151 The Old Vicarage
15.7.87
- II

Wrongly marked as Greenacre on Ordnance Survey map. Vicarage, now house.
1863 for Rev W R Allcroft, by James Fowler of Louth, diocesan architect.
Red-brown brick in English bond with bands and dressings of yellow brick,
vitrified blue brick and ashlar. Welsh slate roof. Approximately square on
plan: double-depth main range with 2-room west front with entrance hall to.
left of centre, and 2-room south garden front. 2 storeys. West front of 3
irregular bays, with gabled section breaking forward to left of centre.
Chamfered plinth, flush bands of yellow and blue brick headers. Projecting
gabled section contains enclosed entrance porch to left, with buttress to
left, stone steps tb pointed chamfered ashlar outer arch, narrow square-
headed ashlar side window to left return, and pointed half-glazed panelled
inner door in chamfered keyed brick arch. Tall pointed 2-light ashlar stair
window to right has chamfered and moulded mullion and transom to lower
section, and shafted mullion with foliate capital to upper section with
triangular-headed lights beneath foiled circular light, in reveal beneath
keyed polychrome brick arch with flush brick impost band. First-floor
single-light segmental-pointed window above entrance with shouldered-arch
light below pierced cinquefoil, in reveal beneath keyed brick arch. Ashlar
relief tablet to gable with crown above shield inscribed: W R A beneath
1863

keyed segmental-pointed arch. Right bay has 3-light mullion-and-transom
ground-floor window in quoined surround beneath keyed segmental-pointed
brick relieving arch with herringbone brick infill, first-floor 2-light
ashlar cross window with similar surround and keyed relieving arch in gabled
half-dormer; both windows with dummy chamfered mullions and transoms in
front of unequal sashes with glazing bars. 3-course cogged and stepped
brick raking eaves cornice to gables, stepped eaves to remainder. Crested
ridge tiles, ornate wrought-iron finial to gabled entrance bay. Octagonal
single-flue stack to left of entrance bay, corniced ridge stacks to rear
with tumbled-in brick to offsets. Right return forms 2-bay south garden
front: projecting gabled single-bay section to left has ground-floor canted
bay with 2- and 3-light mullion-and-transom windows beneath hipped roof,
first-floor cross window beneath keyed segmental-pointed relieving arch;
section to left has similar ground-floor and first-floor windows beneath
keyed relieving arches, that above in gabled half-dormer. East front,
facing River Trent, has gabled section to left with ground-floor canted bay
and first-floor cross window, inserted French window and original single-
light and 2-light first-floor ashlar windows to right. All original windows
have unequal sashes behind dummy mullions and transoms. Interior. Original
details include open-well closed-string staircase with Gothick style
balustrade and chamfered newel posts with trefoiled finials; segmental-
pointed openings to upper stairhall; Gothic style stone chimney-pieces to
the 2 south rooms, with fillet-moulded segmental-pointed arches and
quatrefoiled panels in spandrels; moulded cornices, panelled doors in
architraves. Similar in style to Fowler's 1862 vicarage at Amcotts (qv).


Listing NGR: SE8361806230

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.