This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8394 / 53°50'21"N
Longitude: -0.9352 / 0°56'6"W
OS Eastings: 470163
OS Northings: 438650
OS Grid: SE701386
Mapcode National: GBR PSX1.BF
Mapcode Global: WHFCR.LRWJ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 16 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346742
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165263
Location: Ellerton, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO42
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ellerton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bubwith All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 73 NW
MAIN STREET (west end, off)
Church of All Saints
Church. Late C12 in origin with early C13 arcade, Perpendicular tower. C18 north aisle, C19 restoration. Limestone ashlar, brick north aisle and chancel, plain tile roof. West tower, four-bay nave with north aisle, truncated single-bay chancel.
Three-stage tower with diagonal stepped buttresses carrying grotesque figures. Plain five-light west window. South side: row of relief shields and illegible inscription dated 1536 with three-light square-headed window beneath hoodmould above. Two-light square-headed belfry openings to each face except triple trefoil-headed lancet window to east. Embattled parapet with four pinnacles. Nave south side: much restored. Round-headed south door, with two roll-moulded orders to the soffit, held on responds with scalloped capitals, largely the work of restorers. To its left C19 paired lancets. To right a largely original three-light square-headed cinque-cusped window and a C19 lancet, with a reset sundial, probably C18, between. C12 band at half height broken by later openings. Nave north side: three two-light casements with leaded lights. Stone coping to east gable. Chancel: small fixed window to south. Truncated brick arch of three orders, probably of C16 brick, to north. East end completely rebuilt with two-light round-headed fixed window with leaded lights.
Interior: pointed arcade on round piers with octagonal capitals. C19 replica of Norman chancel arch with beakhead and zigzag. Early C18 chancel rail with turned balusters. Brass commemorating Sir Richard Aske and his wife Margaret, died 1460. Norman tub font with blind round-arched interlocking arcading.
Listing NGR: SE7016238651
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings