History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elsham Signal Box Approximately 10 Metres North East of Level Crossing

A Grade II Listed Building in Wrawby, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5807 / 53°34'50"N

Longitude: -0.4613 / 0°27'40"W

OS Eastings: 501971

OS Northings: 410450

OS Grid: TA019104

Mapcode National: GBR TW61.Y4

Mapcode Global: WHGGG.W8J8

Entry Name: Elsham Signal Box Approximately 10 Metres North East of Level Crossing

Listing Date: 16 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346846

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165920

Location: Wrawby, North Lincolnshire, DN20

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Wrawby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Wrawby St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Wrawby

Listing Text

ELSHAM B 1206
TA 01 SW
(east side)
5/57 Elsham Signal Box
approximately 10 metres
north-east of level
crossing
- II
Railway signal box. 1885 for Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway
Company by the Railway Signal Company of Fazakerley, Liverpool. Timber
frame, weather-boarded; Welsh slate roof. Cast-iron lever frame.
Rectangular on plan. Entrances to right return (east side). South front,
facing railway: 2 storeys, 2 bays. Ground floor: two 4-pane casements with
sills. First floor: plank walkway on cast-iron brackets, iron handrail
beneath full-width window with a row of single panes below a central 24-pane
window with 4-pane sliding sashes to each end. Cast-iron gutter. Swept
roof with ornate bargeboards and wooden finials. Iron stove-pipe chimney to
rear. Right return: board door to right; wooden staircase with plain
treads, single newel and handrail, rising to landing on right supported on
cast-iron brackets, with enclosed lean-to porch, outer board door and half-
glazed inner door. First floor: hinged plank walkway on brackets with iron
handrail beneath full-width window incorporating row of single panes and
sliding sashes similar to front; 4-pane attic casement. Left return has
similar plank walkway, first floor and attic windows; C20 nameplate on
gable. Rear has 4-pane casement to right, overlooking road. Interior:
contains original 22-lever frame, operated from first floor, with
counterweights below inscribed with manufacturer's name. 8-spoke cast-iron
wheel mounted on a pillar on first floor operates level crossing gates.
Included as a representative example of the standard design of signal box
(used 1881-1923) of the most successful signalling firm of the later pre-
grouping period.


Listing NGR: TA0197110449

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.