History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Harpenden Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Harpenden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.816 / 51°48'57"N

Longitude: -0.3553 / 0°21'18"W

OS Eastings: 513469

OS Northings: 214317

OS Grid: TL134143

Mapcode National: GBR H7J.10L

Mapcode Global: VHFRV.SMJ7

Entry Name: The Harpenden Methodist Church

Listing Date: 29 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164036

Location: Harpenden, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL5

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

Civil Parish: Harpenden

Built-Up Area: Harpenden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Harpenden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Harpenden

Listing Text

TL 1314 SW HARPENDEN HIGH STREET
(east side)
HARPENDEN

16/50 The Harpenden Methodist
Church

II

Church, church hall and offices. 1929 by A Brace. Long symmetrical frontage in
neo-Tudor style. Stone facade; wings at each end in red brick with stone dressings.
iiachine tile roof. 2 storeys. Gable-ended church is recessed in centre. Stepped
buttresses either side. 4-light window with curvilinear tracery. Projecting ground
floor has gabled porch with moulded arch. Small 2-light mullioned casements each
side. Gable -ended wings either side have their front ground floors stepped forward
slightly. Their front and side elevations have thin 2-light casements with slightly
recessed mullions and transoms. The wings at each end have similar casements of
2-3 lights on the ground floor and single hipped eaves dormers with 4-light casements.
They terminate in arch-headed openings with continuous stone mouldings. The interior
of the church has a broad nave of G bays. Pointed wooden barrel vault. Pointed
chamfered arches to the side elevations of the nave bays, changing to a 2-arch open
arcade at the transepts. Semi-octagonal piers to the chancel arch. 3-arch arcade
to the chancel walls and 3-light E window. The narrow aisles have cross arches
at each bay and open into the nave through paired arches in each bay. (Pevsner
(1977)).


Listing NGR: TL1346914317

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.