History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldenham, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6729 / 51°40'22"N

Longitude: -0.3537 / 0°21'13"W

OS Eastings: 513939

OS Northings: 198406

OS Grid: TQ139984

Mapcode National: GBR 52.CHH

Mapcode Global: VHFSM.T6DX

Entry Name: Church Farm House

Listing Date: 1 September 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346866

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164049

Location: Aldenham, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD25

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere

Civil Parish: Aldenham

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Aldenham

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Radlett

Listing Text

TQ 19 NW ALDENHAM ALDENHAM
(South side)

6/2 Church Farm House
1.9.53


GV II


House. C17 or earlier origins. Front range early C18. C20 extensions.
Timber frame to original house to rear, cased and extended in red brick
with burnt headers. Tiled roofs. 5 bay front. 2 storeys and attic.
Central entrance: traceried, rectangular fanlight, architrave,
bracketed, dentilled hood. Flush frame glazing bar sashes with gauged
brick, flat arched heads. 2 plat bands, lower returned. Sprocket eaves.
3 hipped dormers with 2-light casements, some leaded lights. End stacks.
Gable end parapets with kneelers to gambrel roof with lower second ridge
behind. Attached to rear is a l-bay lower wing dated 1682 on tie beam to
rear inside. Entrance with side lights under hood. First floor leaded
light casement. Extending further back is timber framed earlier house,
probably 4 bays, possibly originally an open hall. 1 storey and attic.
Casements, hipped dormers. Left return from front has 1 attic sash and a
blocked window. Set back to left an early C20 extension following C18
house in material and detail. Further C20 extensions to rear of C17
house. Interior: some exposed timber in original house, chamfered
binding beams, curved braces. (Hertfordshire Archaeology, vol.6, 1978,
p.78).


Listing NGR: TQ1393998406

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.