This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6666 / 51°39'59"N
Longitude: -0.3353 / 0°20'7"W
OS Eastings: 515222
OS Northings: 197731
OS Grid: TQ152977
Mapcode National: GBR 5X.Q3J
Mapcode Global: VHGQ3.4CKR
Entry Name: Three Horseshoes Public House
Listing Date: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346893
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164075
Location: Aldenham, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD25
Civil Parish: Aldenham
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Aldenham
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 19 NE
ALDENHAM, Letchmore Heath,
THE GREEN (Northwest side)
Three Horseshoes PH
Former house, Public House since 1803. c.1600 hall. Extended early to
mid C18, altered 1803 and later C19. Timber frame to hall, cased and
extended in brick. Rendered with sham timber framing. Tiled roofs. 1
storey 2 bay hall extends to right of present front. 2 and 4 light
casements to front, weatherboarded gable to right return. Steeply
pitched roof. C18 axial stack with oversailing courses. Early to mid C18
addition to left: 2 storeys, 2 window front. Entrance off centre with
flanking C19 canted bays. First floor: 2 sashes, twin gables, roughcast
with sham timber frame. Left return was C18 front. Ground floor C19
canted bay with a 3 light casement with a segmental head to left. First
floor: two 2 light casements with segmental heads. Dentilled brick
eaves. Rear gable end: weatherboarded, external stack with oversailing
cap. A lean-to added to right of present front leads to hall which is
set back. Attached to rear right 1 bay remains of a C16/C17 barn with
curved braces to cambered tie beams. Cement rendered and weatherboarded
externally. 1 storey later extensions to rear of no special interest.
(Herts Archaeology, vol.6, 1978, p.78).
Listing NGR: TQ1522297731
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings