History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Munden House

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldenham, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6893 / 51°41'21"N

Longitude: -0.357 / 0°21'25"W

OS Eastings: 513665

OS Northings: 200222

OS Grid: TL136002

Mapcode National: GBR 51.4NR

Mapcode Global: VHFSF.RSLW

Entry Name: Munden House

Listing Date: 12 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346895

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164085

Location: Aldenham, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD25

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere

Civil Parish: Aldenham

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Aldenham

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Radlett

Listing Text

TL 10 SW ALDENHAM MUNDEN

2/38 Munden House
-

GV II


Country House. 1787-95 for R.S.Parker, remodelled 1828 for G.Hibbert.
Altered 1851 by R.Geldham, altered 1887. Red brick, extended in stock
brick. Stone dressings, some rendering. Slate hipped roofs. 2 storey C18
block wrapped in Gothic Revival additions. 3 bay front of 1828. Central
bay projects forward with large 6-light casements: chamfered surrounds,
central stone mullion, ovolo moulded timber mullions and transom,
diamond glazed upper panes. Carved frieze between storeys. First floor
dripstone. Parapet above string course, stone coping, pinnacles. Former
entrance to right in what is now a low quadrant outshut. Flanking bays
project less: 4 light casements, moulded stone cornice to right. 3
bargeboarded gabled dormers. Ridge stacks flank central bay. To right:
small first floor oriel in link to 1 bay addition of 1851. Ground floor
long porch/vestibule projects forward with entrance to front: plank door
with a pointed arch, square hood mould and carved spandrels. Quatrefoil
over entrance and Arms in relief in low gabled parapet. Angle buttresses
to 3 bay returns: small casements with leaded panes, carved frieze.
First floor canted bay, 4 centred arched lights with leaded panes, ogee
roof, Gothic ornament above. Left return of 1828. 2 bays, that towards
front projects with 5-light casements. Towards rear a 4-light window
below a 3-light window. 2 dormers and central ridge stack. Garden front:
3 builds evident. To centre 3 late C18 red brick bays refenestrated in
1828 with 3-light windows as at front. Staircase window over an entrance
to left. Coped parapet over stone cornice. 3 dormers. To right 1828
build projects forward. Stock brick with cement rendered canted bay. To
left 1887 projecting addition, red brick, details follow 1828 model.
Attached to right from front is 2-storey service wing and further 2 and
1 storey later additions. Interior: well-preserved Victorian features.
Formal garden to S. (RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL1360000200

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.