This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6446 / 51°38'40"N
Longitude: -0.2979 / 0°17'52"W
OS Eastings: 517867
OS Northings: 195351
OS Grid: TQ178953
Mapcode National: GBR 7N.1KN
Mapcode Global: VHGQ3.SXCM
Entry Name: Hertsmere Progressive Synagogue
Listing Date: 30 April 1974
Last Amended: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346915
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164211
Location: Elstree and Borehamwood, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD6
Civil Parish: Elstree and Borehamwood
Built-Up Area: Elstree
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Elstree and Borehamwood
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 1795 ELSTREE HIGH STREET
14/160 Hertsmere Progressive
30.4.74 Synagogue (formerly
listed as Old St.Nicholas
Church of England School)
Former school, now synagogue. 1882-3 for H.H. Gibbs, Lord Aldenham. Red
brick, part roughcast, sham timber framing, tile hanging. Tiled roof.
Asymmetrical Arts and Crafts Style. 2 storeys. 1:2:1 with projecting
gabled end wings. Arched entrance to left of centre, chamfered surround.
3 light timber mullion and transom leaded window to right of centre. First
floor roughcast with sham timber studding. 2 oriel windows with gabled
heads, 3 leaded lights each, moulded timber lintels. Timber bellcote
with ogee finialed cupola and round headed openings on ridge to left of
centre. Small ridge stack to right. Right cross wing: ground floor 3
light leaded window, upper floor ornamental tile hanging and slightly
projecting 4-light leaded window, moulded timber jambs and sill,
brattished cornice below timber studded and roughcast bargeboarded gable.
Right return: large extruded stack with 4 attached octagonal shafts and
oversailing courses. Left cross wing is larger and taller with a first
floor 5-light timber mullion and transom leaded casement, bracketed sill.
Timber studded and roughcast bargeboarded gable. Left return: 4 bays,
large 3-light ovolo moulded mullion and transom windows. Large block
attached at rear left extends parallel to main range, similar but simpler
features. Rear of main block has tile hung first floor. Interior not
inspected. (Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ1786795351
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings