History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashby cum Fenby, North East Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4903 / 53°29'25"N

Longitude: -0.1106 / 0°6'37"W

OS Eastings: 525454

OS Northings: 400949

OS Grid: TA254009

Mapcode National: GBR WXN2.VK

Mapcode Global: WHHJ5.8JLM

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 4 January 1967

Last Amended: 18 June 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346925

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164366

Location: Ashby cum Fenby, North East Lincolnshire, DN37

County: North East Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Ashby cum Fenby

Built-Up Area: Ashby cum Fenby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Ashby St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Ashby cum Fenby

Listing Text

TA 20 SE
5263
7/1

HUMBERSIDE,
CLEETHORPES,
ASHBY CUM FENBY,
ASHBY LANE (east side, off),
Church of Saint Peter

4.1.67

GV II*

Parish church. C12 nave, C13 tower; nave arcade, north aisle and chancel
rebuilt in C17, the latter incorporating C14 windows. Restored 1845, tower
repaired 1886, west end restored 1910, tower restored 1959. Squared
ironstone and chalk, rubble and flint; brick to chancel; limestone and
ironstone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower with west entrance, 3-
bay nave with 4-bay north arcade, 2-bay chancel. Quoins. 2-stage tower:
moulded plinth, restored pointed chamfered door, restored C14 pointed 2-
light traceried window, line of former nave gable to east, stringcourse.
Tall pointed 2-light belfry openings (those to north and south partly
restored) wiLh Y-tracery on a shaft, dogtooth decoration and plain
hoodmoulds. Weathered angle gargoyles. Restored coped ashlar parapet.
Nave: section of blocked C12 round-headed south door to left; C14 pointed 3-
light window with reticulated tracery, similar window with C19 tracery, and
C14 - C15 square-headed 3-light trefoiled window. North aisle: single-light
and 3-light mullioned windows beneath timber lintels; C20 brick-mullioned 3-
light west window. Chancel: rubble to lower sections with brick above,
buttresses to east. Re-set pointed chamfered south door and pointed 2-light
windows with good reticulated tracery, hoodmould and headstops. Interior.
Pointed double-chamfered tower arch, inner order on fine carved head
corbels. Arcade of one pointed double-chamfered arch and 3 plain round
arches of 2 orders, probably re-built in C17, on C13 keeled quatrefoil
piers, one with moulded capital and circular abacus, the others plainer,
perhaps contemporary with arches. C17 chancel arch with continuous double
chamfer. Monuments: in tower a good early C14 knight effigy with legs
crossed and lion at feet; fine ashlar standing wall monument in chancel to
Suzanna Dury of 1606 with surround of fluted Corinthian pilasters carrying a
bold cornice, round-headed niche with putti in spandrels, carved intrados
and inscribed tablet over later C17 two-thirds life-size figure of reclining
woman on sarcophagus lid supported by 2 hounds; fine mid C17 standing ashlar
monument bearing traces of painting to Sir William Wray (died 1616) and Lady
Frances Wray (died 1647), 3 by 2 bays, with Corinthian columns supporting
inscribed entablature and canopy with elaborate carved arms above, over
full-size reclining figures of Wray and wife, kneeling daughter beside them,
infant at feet, and two small kneeling figures of sons in armour beside base
to north; black marble floor slab to Sir William Wray of 1669 with inscribed
white marble border. C14-C15 font with octagonal bowl carved with
mouchettes and quatrefoils in circles, shafted column and moulded base. C11
- C12 pillar piscina at west end with quatrefoil shaft, scalloped capital
and square top containing C20 alms box. Central section of C14 oak rood
screen under tower arch: central opening flanked by two and a half panels
each side, with octagonal columns and cusped trefoiled ogee arches, 2 deep,
plain panels below and later frieze above. Fragments of C14 glass,
including portions of dragon, in chancel south windows. Two bells in nave
dated 1699 and 1725. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England:
Lincolnshire, 172.


Listing NGR: TA2545400949

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.