This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4795 / 53°28'46"N
Longitude: -0.1531 / 0°9'11"W
OS Eastings: 522660
OS Northings: 399674
OS Grid: TF226996
Mapcode National: GBR WXC6.NF
Mapcode Global: WHHJ4.MS8X
Entry Name: Ruins of West Ravendale Priory Approximately 160 Metres South West of Priory Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346953
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164415
Location: West Ravendale, North East Lincolnshire, DN37
County: North East Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: West Ravendale
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Ravendale
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/08/2015
TF 29 NW
TF 2266 9967
Ruins of West Ravendale Priory approximately 160 metres south-west of Priory Farmhouse
Ruin, reputed to be remains of former Priory Chapel. Medieval. Chalk, flint and ironstone rubble and squared blocks. Rectangular on plan, approximately 14 metres by 5 metres internally. Parts of two adjoining ivy-covered walls standing up to approximately 4 metres high at north-east angle; no visible indications of openings. Other walls survive as low overgrown banks of rubble. West Ravendale Priory, a Premonstratensian cell dependant on Beauport Abbey, Brittany, was founded c1202. The buildings were described as ruinous and in disrepair in the early C14. The priory was dissolved and its possessions vested in the crown in 1389, and in 1439 estate was granted to Southwell College. Remains of north and south doors, an east window and tiled floor were visible in 1878. E Venables, "The Alien Priory of Ravendale", Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, 1878, vol 14, pt 2, 166-73; N Loughlin and K Miller, A Survey of Archaeological Sites in Humberside, 1979, 171.
Listing NGR: TF2266099674
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings