History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mansion

A Grade II Listed Building in Shenley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6935 / 51°41'36"N

Longitude: -0.2944 / 0°17'39"W

OS Eastings: 517982

OS Northings: 200789

OS Grid: TL179007

Mapcode National: GBR H8Y.Y2M

Mapcode Global: VHGPX.VP6N

Entry Name: The Mansion

Listing Date: 12 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346958

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164330

Location: Shenley, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD7

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere

Civil Parish: Shenley

Built-Up Area: Shenley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Shenley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Radlett

Listing Text

TL 10 SE SHENLEY PORTERS PARK
Shenley

3/275 The Mansion
-

- II


Formerly Country House, now used for hospital administration and
accommodation. 1902 rebuilding of C18 or earlier house, dated on cupola.
By C.J.Harold Cooper for C.Raphael. Stuccoed brick. Stone and timber
dressings. Green slate roof. Half H plan extended, perhaps reflecting
earlier arrangements. Edwardian Classical/Baroque Style. 3 storeys.
3:5:3. Ground floor of central range projects forward to plane of
projecting wings. Ashlar Tuscan portico,hexastyle in antis,balustraded
parapet. Entrance 2nd bay from right in timber porch with leaded, glazed
panels. Timber glazing bar casements throughout, some sashes to wings
and to rear. 2 bays to right on upper storeys of main range have an
extra staircase window, all with stained glass. Continuous timber
modillioned cornice over first floor. Coped parapet. Steeply pitched
double span roof. Turret with cupola central to front ridge, Baroque
detailing. Wings canted to front. Relieving arches over first floor
windows. Left return similar with additions at front angle and to ground
floor. Rear elevation, 3:5:3. Slightly projecting centre under a shallow
gable with raking, moulded stone cornice. Central 3 bays: ground floor
canted bay addition, 2nd floor single lugged architrave with central
round-headed window and scrolled jambs. Rambling extensions to right,
similar in appearance with simpler detail, a small ogee turreted bay to
rear. Interior: complex open well stair with twin flights up to landing,
panelling with carved ornament and plaster ceilings on ground floor all
in C17 styles. N.Hawksmoor lived here up to his death in 1736. Admiral
Lord Richard Howe also lived here. (RCHM Typescript: Pevsner 1977).


Listing NGR: TL1798200789

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.