History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Beswick, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9322 / 53°55'55"N

Longitude: -0.4828 / 0°28'58"W

OS Eastings: 499707

OS Northings: 449517

OS Grid: SE997495

Mapcode National: GBR TQ2Z.85

Mapcode Global: WHGDQ.KF9C

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 7 February 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346968

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164480

Location: Beswick, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Beswick

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kilnwick All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Cranswick

Listing Text

BESWICK KILNWICK
SE 94 NE
2/8 Church of All Saints
16/2
7.2.68 II *

Church. C12 or earlier nave, early C13 north aisle, C13 chancel, C15 west
tower, (rebuilt above ground level in C17); the whole church largely rebuilt
c1871. Ashlar built slate roofs. 2-stage west tower, 4-bay nave
(originally 5 bays) with north aisle and north porch, 2-bay chancel. West
tower: chamfered plinth. Protruding stair turret under pentice roof to
north-east corner. Round-headed belfry openings, with louvres. Band
beneath crenellated parapet. Nave: chamfered plinth and buttresses with
offsets. Paired lancets with attached central shaft. C12 north door of 2
orders on nook-shafts with scalloped capitals: inner order of beakhead,
outer order of stylised beakhead with a single beast head at crown of arch.
Chancel: chamfered plinth, paired lancet with central attached shaft to
east, pointed priests' door to west. Large, blocked, pointed opening to
extreme west. 3-light pointed east window with C19 tracery under hoodmould
with foliated stops. Coped gable. Interior: north arcade of 4 pointed
double-chamfered arches (and the remains of a fifth dying into the west wall
of the nave) on cylindical piers with octagonal abaci. The second pier from
the west has a capital bearing stylised leaf ornament. Chancel: 2 memorial
tablets on the north wall to family of Grimston, of Grimston Garth in
Holderness. The first Memorial tablet is by Fisher of York to John Grimston
(died 1780) and to Jane his wife (died 1758). Tablet with paterae beneath
an enriched cornice and a sarcophagus decorated with rams' heads. The
second by Cheere to Thomas Grimston died 1752: eared and shouldered tablet
under a round pediment flanked by putti under a coat of arms. Mid C17
pulpit with decorated panels under a cornice enriched with projecting
diamonds. Small organ of 1836 in a Gothick case. Early C13 font with cable
ornament to shallow bowl.


Listing NGR: SE9970749517

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.