This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6126 / 53°36'45"N
Longitude: -0.2555 / 0°15'19"W
OS Eastings: 515503
OS Northings: 414310
OS Grid: TA155143
Mapcode National: GBR VVNN.GQ
Mapcode Global: WHHHJ.1GLB
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 4 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164424
Location: Habrough, North East Lincolnshire, DN40
County: North East Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Habrough
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Habrough St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
HABROUGH, STATION ROAD (east side),
TA 11 SE,
Church of St Margaret
Parish church. Rebuilt 1868-69 by R J Withers of London, with restored C14
arcades, tower and chancel arches. Rough-faced limestone ashlar with smooth
ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style. West tower,
3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining to
north. Chamfered plinth. 2-stage tower with low full-width buttresses to
north and south sides. Lower stage has pointed 2-light plate-traceried west
window with hoodmould continued as string course. Stepped-in upper belfry
stage has moulded sill string course and lancets with continuous hoodmould,
rising to upper octagonal section with quatrefoiled roundels, string course
and octagonal spirelet with lucarnes surmounted by weathercock. Aisles have
pointed 2-light plate-traceried windows with hoodmoulds. East extension of
north aisle forms vestry with segmental-pointed door and single-light
window. 6 pointed trefoiled single-light clerestory windows with
hoodmoulds. Chancel: single lancet to north, 2 twin lancets to south with
continuous hoodmoulds; triple east lancet with hoodmould and headstops.
Continuous sill band. Porch: pointed chamfered outer arch with hoodmould
continued as string course; quatrefoiled circular side windows; pointed
chamfered inner arch. Interior. Pointed double-chamfered arches on
octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals and bases; original shafted
responds with octagonal abaci to north arcade. Tall pointed double-
chamfered tower arch with chamfered responds. Pointed double-chamfered
chancel arch with inner order on original moulded corbels. Chancel has sill
string course, hoodmoulds and headstops to windows, carved ashlar reredos,
sedile beneath south-east window. C19 fittings, cylindrical font with
nailhead moulding on shafted base.
N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of
England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 260; Associated Architectural Societies
its and Papers, vol 10 pt 1, 1869, p xviii.
Listing NGR: TA1550314310
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.