This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.75 / 53°45'0"N
Longitude: -0.5696 / 0°34'10"W
OS Eastings: 494422
OS Northings: 429133
OS Grid: SE944291
Mapcode National: GBR STG2.HG
Mapcode Global: WHGFN.701H
Entry Name: Brantinghamthorpe
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347036
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164762
Location: Brantingham, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU15
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Brantingham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brantingham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
BRANTINGHAM BRANTINGHAM THORPE PARK
SE 92 NW
House. Late C17; enormously extended 1868-1876 by Devey. Coursed oolitic
limestone rubble with freestone dressings and graduated slate roof.
Original range of two storeys, 3 bays with central projecting 2-storey
porch; 5-bay extension in Jacobethan style to left and single-bay extension
to right. Original block: porch has C20 glazed and panelled door in
possibly reused late C14 pointed arch with continuous mouldings under
hoodmould with carved stops. To right and to left are late C19 polygonal
bay windows with 2-light mullion-and-double-transom windows under moulded
cornices and strapwork parapets. First floor: inserted late C19 oriel
window with mullioned and transomed windows over heraldic plaque to porch.
Cross-mullion windows with small raised keyblocks to right and left.
Moulded cornice. Shaped gable with 2-light casement and C19 sidewall stack
to porch; balustraded parapet to body of house. Hipped roof, end stack.
Central bell turret: square base carrying balustraded parapet with obelisks
and hexagonal cupola with keyed round-headed openings under modillion
cornice and shaped pyramidal dome with ball finial and elaborate wrought-
iron weather-vane. Extension to left: bay 1: 2-storey canted-bay: mullioned
and transomed windows to ground and first floors (2-light to front, single-
light to sides). Shaped gable with mythological panels, pyramidal finials,
and small pediment. Bay 2: cross-mullioned windows to ground and first
floors, with flanking small single-pane windows to right and left of ground-
floor window. Bay 3: late C19 square bay window: 5-light mullion-and-
transom windows, centre light of ground-floor window with segmental transom
and head. Bay 4: glazed and panelled door with mullioned overlight under
blank shield: cross- mullioned window to first floor. Bay 5: 2-storey
canted bay similar to that of bay one. Bay 9: another, similar, 2-storey
canted-bay. Interior: the interior has been completely remodelled in the
late C19 when most of the principal rooms were panelled and beamed ceilings
inserted. An impressive stair in late C17 style was also constructed. One
room on the ground floor contains bolection-moulded panelling and an
elaborate fireplace of c1716 which was brought from No 66, High Street,
Hull. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: York and The East Riding, pp 195-6.
N M R PHOTO
Listing NGR: SE9442229133
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings