History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hoo End Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Paul's Walden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8643 / 51°51'51"N

Longitude: -0.2871 / 0°17'13"W

OS Eastings: 518039

OS Northings: 219801

OS Grid: TL180198

Mapcode National: GBR H71.070

Mapcode Global: VHGP4.ZD2N

Entry Name: Hoo End Farm

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 8 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347040

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162959

Location: St. Paul's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Paul's Walden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Kimpton

Listing Text

TL 11 NE ST PAUL'S WALDEN HOO END

7/167 Hoo End Farm (formerly listed as
9.6.52 Hoo End Farmhouse)

GV II

Farmhouse, now a private house. Late medieval open hall house with
jettied W crosswing; floor and timber framed chimney inserted in hall in
late C16 and roof and windows altered; E half of house C17 with gables;
rear lateral chimney c.1700, external E gable chimney c.1800. Timber
frame roughcast with stucco plinth, except exposed framing to ground
floor under jettied W gable. Steep old red tile roof. A long 1½-storeys
house facing S with gabled crosswing at W end, and 3 other gables along
front. Continuous drip over ground floor windows. Eaves of main range at
sill level of upper windows in each gable. 5 windows to ground floor
with 3-lights leaded casements. Classical relief roundel above porch
near middle. Lean-to trellis porch to 6-panel flush beaded door into
lower end of original hall. Very large internal chimney next crosswing
rises in front slope of roof with triangular central pilaster. Small
timber frame stable building linked to SW corner of house. Interior has
smoke-blackened clasped-purlin roof to older part, elaborately moulded
floor beam inserted in hall, ovolo-moulded tie-beam in C17 rear gable
added over hall, bolection moulded fire surround of later C17 on 1st
floor of W wing, cambered late medieval tie-beam at E end of hall with
heavy flat rafters. (RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL1805519749

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.